Racism or Acceptable?

binary_10essee

Quick question. This dude I used to be cool with is on some stupid s#!t, claimin' that a song he recorded (while we were still kickin' it almost every day) was about me. I know he's full of it, but I figured I'd drop a lil' somethin' now and see what he tries to do. Seeing as how he's part Japanese, is it wrong to make a reference to his Japanese heritage and WWII?

I personally have mixed feelings about it. I don't care about whether or not it makes him mad. That's not the point. I wouldn't want a stranger to hear it and automatically feel that it's racism or somethin' like that.

Opinions?

Depends. It really depends. Everything that can be some king of prejudice needs to be treated with extreme caution. In some countries, you can even be arrested for hate speech.

are you gonna call him a "jap" or something?

personally i don't get into bigotry in my lyrics it really depends on what you say though i guess.

The thing about strangers is you never know what they'll think. Depending on what you say, and based on the Internet I know, it's very likely one or more than one stranger will think it's racist.

Is it funny or clever? A comedian can get away with any topic if it's presented correctly. Don't try to hurt him with a line about something like that but rather try and write it for the audience to get their laughter or w.e.

sorry..this made me crack up a bit..

Well like any other kind of lyric your trying to make an impact right?
What does it say about your character that instead of not being able to make up particular flaws of this fellow's particular character you have to resort to ambiguous remarks about a race of people...which is usually just either generalisation (ie. not really well read, this points out your lack of general awareness), Phobia (some personal fear that you have regarding people....not really helpful) or something like that.

on the other hand....if your just trying to make someone uncomfortable and you know that they have a tendency to flash back to vietnam/cotton fields/dr. King's death/etc. by it's mention than....why not! :D, varying degree's based on your character and willingness to compromise that.

The remark was *not* a stab at the fact that he has some Japanese background. It was just a reference, and yes, it was comical. However, I've decided to scratch the whole idea. If you knew the situation you'd laugh your ass off, I'm sure. But because of how silly he is in terms of his reaction to what was originally a joke, I cannot take it seriously whatsoever. I can't build up enough hatred, anger, whatever you wanna call it, to get at him. Haha.

All the comments and opinions are appreciated though!

Last edited:
depends on what he is talking about. Doesn't have to be a negative act because it uses a negative event.

I think as an artist you can get away with almost anything as long as it sounds dope.

Look at Michael Jackson. Most people thought he was a pedophile, but they still loved his music and would buy it.

Depends on what you're saying. If you are saying something like "I'll bomb you like pearl harbor" it isn't that bad but if you're saying something like "you're nothing but a Jap", then that might be over the line. Remember that this is music so express yourself however you like.

Depends on what you're saying. If you are saying something like "I'll bomb you like pearl harbor" it isn't that bad but if you're saying something like "you're nothing but a Jap", then that might be over the line. Remember that this is music so express yourself however you like.

I like that bomb you like pearl harbour lyric. Especially for the situation OP described. It can seem totally innocent but at the same time you know its a direct stab at it, but its just a more indirect way of doing it. Its kind of like an inside joke, except its an inside diss haha. No one that doesnt know your mind set is going to think thats a stab at Japan. But your friend or whoever he is may get it if he knows you have some sort of beef with him. Thats a perfect lyric for this situation! haha I like it.

Back