producers and their music knowledge

anyman

im wondering if all producers knows notation or if they can play everything with piano sheets like classical musicians ?
for example scott storch and timbaland . any info ?

from what i know, not every producer does. im guessing most producers who take their stuff seriously would make an effort to atleast learn basics though to make their life easier. im pretty sure scott storch is self taught, like alot of people. but generally a producer tries to get the most out of the artist their working with, utilising plugins etc. to get a good sound.
im not a professional producer in anyway but id say it would be different depending on the music you work with. some producers are the beat makers for rappers. but id assume if your working with bands generally they all know their parts and the music is already in place.

Hey Anyman,

I know a couple of professional producers and it's about half-half. But I have noticed some big differences between producers
who know what they're doing and those who don't. It comes down to this:

If you're interested in writing house, electronic music or other sound-based music, you're well off without knowing any music theory.
If you're into Pop, Rock and certainly RnB it makes sense to learn harmony and music theory in general. You should know how triads
work at least. Every professional producer I know knows at least that - even if they don't know which notes they're actually playing.

Best,
Friedemann

EDIT: Have to agree with KonKossKang below though: Reading music by itself is pretty useless. Music theory on the other hand... :)

Last edited:
Lol, hell no anyman. I know major/minor scales and how to read sheet but that is not necessary since edm uses a different form of sheet called piano rolls instead of traditional sheet.
Piano roll is the most common form of sheet music in edm while in acoustic music sheet is the most common form.

EDM is NOT CLASSICAL, but the two can be the same thing if producing said genre in a daw because there are tools like midi pianos and such that basically function the exact same way and because of that, it is possible.
Although classical and stuff can indeed be done with just a mouse and keyboard as well. [And sounds...and microphones so real instruments are an option as well]

Nope! Matter of fact. A Music Producer is not required to know any notations, because his job is not to write the music. That's for the Composer of the song to know. And then again. Depending on what you write, whether it be a song to a sonata or symphony. Doesn't require you to be able to create with musical notation. You compose songs. Don't worry about it. All the Producer needs to know is if he he has the sound and song pulled together the right way, and if its what his client, the composer was looking for or wanted.

All producers definitely do no know how to read notations, but it would behove you to learn if you see it as something you want to make a career out of.

Totally depends on the producer man.

Some producers are amazing. They understand music so well. They play instruments. Their knowledge goes much deeper than music theory... they have a complete understanding.

MOST producers don't know much, honestly. Most of them never played an instrument, instead they just program in instruments to their DAW. They don't like the sound of the note, they move it.

So it depends man. Some people are better than others. It's the same in any field.

----------

EyeAm.
The Masked Man.
EyeAm. The Masked Man. [Producer / Engineer] – Self Growth

It's kinda like measuring creativity vs intelligence.
Someone could take an IQ test and not score so well, but be a great mind in an art form that isn't measured by an academic exam.

It really just depends on the individual. I would personally say that investing the time to learn these things can't hurt (especially if you are young) because you will definitely learn shortcuts by studying music theory and in the end, save yourself A LOT of time.

I will provide an analogy that may or may not apply to anyone considering learning music theory, even though I am only an amateur myself when it comes to theory...

When you learn to type on the keyboard, you become fluent once you commit the keystrokes and the specific key/hand placement on the keyboard...it becomes second nature to where you do not even need to look at the keyboard anymore as you type.
Someone who has not learned how to type, searches and pecks away and is constantly having to look at the keyboard for visual feedback.
...It takes the pecker much more time to form a sentence, paragraph or beyond than it does for the person who has put in the work to learn the "language" of how to type.

good luck man.:cheers:

You can definitely get by without know too much theory but it just makes the songwriting process a bit more of a struggle. I would say just watch a few youtube tutorials about which chords are major/minor within the different key signatures and you will kind of be okay. The more you know the better.

Back