Playing your song while performing; ok???

hustlin_moe20

A.K.A. DRILL
This should get a lot of feedback I'm sure. What's your opinion on rappers playing their complete recorded songs while performing the song? Like they don't know the lyrics or something. Does it look bad on the rapper for not just playing the instrumental? Does it mean he has no live show skills? Does anyone care? Any and all feedback is welcome. I just came from a show, (Wayne/Drake) and they did that:confused:

I'm surprised no one has responded yet...I want to hear what the masses think on this too!

My thoughts:
I feel like, the audience of an artist already has heard, and knows what you have on a cd, and a live performance is supposed to bring them a lil something extra, besides just replicating exactly what is on wax...thats a time to say, "hey, I'm, not just a 'studio' artist, but i can also give you a show!"
But then again, live shows arent for everyone. but for the fact that you do a show live, i think you already owe it to your fans, to bring it. After all, they did pay to see you! Right?

Last edited:
Now that's an answer! I wonder why nobody else has anything to say. Now here's something else...Some artists don't do live shows, how do they make any money? I mean, some well known indie guys, never even come out in public, some in my own city but people listen the their stuff and buy stuff online and in best buy. How did they get well known with no shows under their belt?

for me i think i'd re work the track itself (just minor switch ups in lyrics and maybe tweaks to the instrumental) and go without the backup track, i think the only back up i'd want is in the form of live instruments and singers as far as live shows goes...

but if i was to use recorded tracks to back me up it'd be in the form of really subtle adlibs and what not..Not a big fan of the idea though.lol

your hook is cool but outside of that... Alive show is supposed to be raw and different from the record enuff to give the audience something to be glad they spent there doe on...

hustlin_moe20,

How do the indies make it with no live shows? By gigging, lol.

???

See, traditionally you gigged at every saloon, and hall you could book, to introduce your music to the public, and build up a following.

But in the modern world, gigging has changed. Now the indies gig at myspace, facebook, etc.. They have an album for sale, and occasionally gig the social sites with singles from it, to attract fans, and build up a following over time. Same-same.

Both kinds of gig's have their place, the old way, and the new way.

It's always going to be different answers for different reasons why that is so...

1. They play the songs to have the crowd sing along with them.
2. It helps to remember lyrics, especially if you've been doing this for decades.
3. Adds clarity to the overall listening experience
4. It provides the dj with inspiration to scratch and put a spin on the track

I'm pretty sure i can provide more, but you get the point. Artists have their own preferences to how they perform.

Back