Pease help me get better at writing lines!

CG Kid

I really need help and extremely determined, I need direction big time.

I'm definitely at a amateur level but my intuition says I need to take it further.

For the past year for 2-4 hours a day I incorporated a dictionary to my flocabulary, now I'm trying to learn how to use it. I need some kind of practice regimen to be able to utilize it. I'm very happy with my cadence, voice, delivery, vocabulary but not happy with my lines.

I tend to clump syllables to much an example of something I wrote would be

"As I see my life diminishI know repentance won’t replenish
serving this sentence
Conviction for twisted intention
Lord if only I could be forgiven
Pray to the sky
Hopin your there to listen
Have my doubts
can you blame my suspicion
Livin a life stuck within this sedition
black and white the color is mission
Just a white boy from the suburbs
Submerged in disturbed verbs
Emerge from the dirt with a surge
born to perform this lyrical purge
Exert my hurt in spoken words
Never fitted in at church
Couldn’t find a priest to practiced what he’d preach
Now i feel nervous trying to find my purpose
When I feel like i’m worthless"

Something I admire and would like to write

Hopsin-
"
Yo, I work hard and barely get paid, how did I get stuck on this page, I've been starving for like six days, I should go and get a switch blade, and try to find out where this ***** stays, I'm a lit flame, what's your future I predict pain, slit veins, squished brains I'm just saying, locked in the basement causes madness and errors, all I have to talk to is the ****ing man in the mirror, but you never saw it from my perspective, the craft that I perfected got rejected and thrown out the window with no proper exit, I was humble, now I'm not as pleasant"

What I feel like I'm missing is the ability to rhyme two words at the end of the line "get paid - this page - six days - switch blade - ***** stays"

Also I feel like I'm feeling I'm missing the ability to bend words "perfected - exit - pleasant"

And finally, I'm not conveying emotion as well. It sounds like a computer spitting out words that rhyme when I'm rapping.
What I been doing is sitting here for hours trying to just write lines, it's hard as hell to be really creative and pick apart words I can bend. I got the vocabulary, but having it and being able to use it are very different. Please help by giving advice on what I can add to my practice to make me better able to bend words, do double word rhymes, and convey more emotion in my lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about it. Everyone raps differently and 1 year is not that long of a time to be rapping (if you've been writing then as well as collecting words). Most importantly, practice. I cannot stress that enough. Doesn't matter whether you think you reached a certain new "level" or "stage" in rap, the fact is, theres a ton more to reach. Along with that, stay chill, and have fun with it, you'll find that chillin out and relaxin will help you be better as as artist rather than really trying to fiend for what you want. On the creative thing, creativity wont come to you when you try or want it to. It just comes, whenever it wants so sometimes you might not wan to rap at all, you might want to just lay down the pen and enjoy the beautiful day outside, and come back for it later in the day or maybe just chill out until the next day. The point is, just keep practicing, everyone sounds amateurish and like a computer, whack when they start. That's the only thing that's going to help you, practice, practice and more practice. Do it over real beats, record, find friends who have a passion for music like you do, and just practice. Good luck!

Don't worry about it. Everyone raps differently and 1 year is not that long of a time to be rapping (if you've been writing then as well as collecting words). Most importantly, practice. I cannot stress that enough. Doesn't matter whether you think you reached a certain new "level" or "stage" in rap, the fact is, theres a ton more to reach. Along with that, stay chill, and have fun with it, you'll find that chillin out and relaxin will help you be better as as artist rather than really trying to fiend for what you want. On the creative thing, creativity wont come to you when you try or want it to. It just comes, whenever it wants so sometimes you might not wan to rap at all, you might want to just lay down the pen and enjoy the beautiful day outside, and come back for it later in the day or maybe just chill out until the next day. The point is, just keep practicing, everyone sounds amateurish and like a computer, whack when they start. That's the only thing that's going to help you, practice, practice and more practice. Do it over real beats, record, find friends who have a passion for music like you do, and just practice. Good luck!

I appreciate the input

I been rapping for 4 years, I started taking it more serious about 2 years ago. For the first of those two years I just recorded tracks, I must have 300+ from that year, I got a song done almost every day. I got the intuition I needed to move to the next level or be stuck so I took a step back from recording, built flocabulary for a year through the dictionary, built up my flow, my voice, and the ability to rap pretty fast (through all the hours of freestyle), also I studied audio engineering and invested in solid equipment. The last few months I been simultaneously recording tracks that are much better then what I was doing before.

I'm stuck because I don't know how to practice. Freestyling to a dictionary with only new words was great, it did a lot for me, but now when I do it I just don't feel it getting me anywhere. I made 50 songs over the past few months and just don't see them getting better then they initially were. I can flow as fast or slow as I want, I'm happy with where my voice is at, I have the ability to put together good songs - with the exception that I'm not feeling the lines. I'm curious how other people practice to get better lyrically (assuming they have the vocabulary to write), and advice on things to try out. Essentially I have the intuition that I need to get to the next level or be stuck, but I don't know how to get there. It's all fun with a little bit of fiending, because that rush of getting somewhere is awesome! ^_^

Thats great man and thats incredible work ethic being able to record so many songs and doing it all the time too. What I used to do when I get stuck was I just kept writing even when things didn't make sense and eventually it would collect and I would get past that obstacle. Nowadays though I just write to make the songs I like, over beats I find that I like, and just do it for the soul. Every time I write now I think about how other people can benefit from this, and how me putting my story out there can help them think about changing the habits they want to change. So I feel like when you want to give something back, then all the obstacles just dissapear. Because people want to hear that emotion, that raw personal story, people are always looking for help and happiness somewhere in the back of their minds. So that's what I do man, if I don't feel a beat or a song, I just can't spit over it bro and because of that that I just don't really think about obstacles but still do get better overtime. Send me a link to your soundcloud sometime man I'd love to check out some of your stuff

Last edited:
Back