Overcoming Writers Block

AjayeT

im not sure if this will work for you guys, but when I cant think of anything. I surf through beats ive made or on youtube and just let my emotions take over. I block out out side force and focus soley on my thoughts at that moment and I try to translate my feelings into words. If that doesn't work I crumble some erb and that's when the process truly takes off. I feel like a whole different person as far as my cognitive processes go. Beat listening when your stoned is always better. I feel I can connect to the music more, its almost as if the beat is speaking to me, telling me how it should handled. its like a gift that when I try to relate to other artist or my friends they can not seem to relate to it. I guess you either have it or you don't.

Usually people that have writers block have something unorganized (For me anything unorganized will ruin my mind state, if my room is messy, if I did not take a bath, if I have dirty clothes, ect). For me personally I absolutely have to have everything clean before my mind can be clean otherwise I can't get shit done. I started writing when I was like 14 or in the 9th grade. I only had writers block like around 4 years after that time period and from what I can remember I had it for like a good few months. I never get writers block, I am 22 now so I was probably around 17-18 when I had true writers block.

What I mean by that, I could think of lines but I could not stick with them. I would write a few things down, then I would throw them away.

Looking back on that I can probably assume it was to me over working myself, I would call those my begging years of writing. What happened was I probably hit a point where I was overwhelm with to much material and in fact it was that.

I used to have in school supsension and I would write 4 entire raps with 3 verses and a chorus before the end of the school day.

My point, I was doing too much to fast, what happened is that I had a pile of papers/raps every week that were so big my brain wanted to explode because half were finished and half were done + I am trying to remember them all.

I FIXED MY WRITERS BLOCK WITHIN 1 DAY LITERALLY

I think this was near the end of high school, one day I decided to start over. I took every rap that I had and ripped them up and threw them in the garbage. Best choice I ever made in my life, I basically took everything out my brain and hit the restart button.

Ever since then I had no problem and never got writers block again. Now I either keep or not keep a rap, where as before I would keep alot of my raps even if I didn't like them or they were half done. I do not start on songs that I do not like, the songs I like alot I try to record and the songs I just like I only keep in a folder.

That is the difference, so I had writers block from my MIND being unorganized, I fixed it by ripping all my raps apart and resting my mind to a clear state.

This is how I do my shit
- Decide if I am in the mood to write
- Find a beat (this is the hardest because I am picky when it comes to beats)
- Think of a random flows/chorus's in my head while listening to the beat
- If I think I can make something I usually then download that beat
- I then write to it
- When I am done it goes in a folder or stays in a notebook

I then either keep it for my own personal use, or decide to record it.

After I record it I then decide if the recording is good enough to put on a CD or not

If its not then I put it in a seperate folder, if I recorded it really good then I put it in another folder where only I have that song and nobody else gets to listen to it (besides a few people I let) because I keep it for the future when I put CD's together.

The only songs I let people hear are my play around songs.

Last edited:
Writers block is so frustrating because self-expression, whether lyrical or musical, is usually always in me. So when the block comes it really feels like theres something wrong in my life. haha

i think though that i comes down to inspiration, and inspiration meaning what you've been in contact lately. if you've listened to no music or music that doesn't inspire you to write music, odds are you're gonna get a block. life is a remix!

so when i get a block, i just try and let things flow and not force anything upon myself, and ask me what i want to listen to or what i want to read.

Find new beats and Keep on writing. Write with a purpose! Sometimes if you have an idea and can't flesh it out, you might have an internal conflict with the song.

Stay focused. Ride the beat. Love the music you are making. And above all keep making music!!

Even if the song sucks, finish the song and move on to the next one.

Just don't become too reliant on medication to cure your writers block, sometimes just overcome it naturally.

Yo, your method works. But you should also just write freely -- as in, put words on paper or into a word processor or something, unburdened by trying to make it rhyme or sound good or whatever. Enough of this and a track is guaranteed to come out, though it might sound like gibberish.

Writers block can be defined as not feeling fluid with your creativity. People get writers block because they get too comfortable in their creative environment. This is caused by doing the same thing over and over and not stepping outside of your comfort zone. The easiest way to combat it is to try different approaches and do things that you might not be educated about. For example if you make House music day in and out and you feel yourself getting writers block then step outside of your comfort zone and mess around with creating a rock track. Or go even further and play around with folk music. You never know what you may come up with and you will always leave your signature on things, but doing this will recharge your creative juices and allow new sounds to enter your ear making you think and recreate. This is what has always helped me.

If an artist is having writer's block then that only means that he is not feeding his/her mind with enough information to execute a project. Start picking up a book and reading information where you mind can hold inventory to the things you want to talk about. Use words that challenge you to learn day by day that add value to your overall vision of what you want the listener to see.

Pop an eee or roll a big fat spliff.
most great songs got written when they got high..
when she gets high
she looks up in tha sky.
looks down look at me, sing her a sweat lullaby.
ohh me, ohh my I like your sweet sexy eye.
lets jiggly jiggly don't wanna do a drive by.
because i don't want to die.

you get the drift

When I write I never use beats or such. The only thing I do is pick a pen or pencil, pick a writers block or some paper thats lying around, and just write. Thats the thumb rule; write, write and keep writing.
Then later you can modify the text based on the beat you pick. You can change some words, shorten it or make it longer.

Sometimes thats the best way to go, at least for me it is.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'd recommend writing down your feelings just as you would tell them to a close friend. In that way you'll get more personal on the first hand.
Second, forget about the beat. It's all about the lyrics, you want the listener to understand your message. The last thing you'd want is a dope beat where you gibber around like some Lil Wayne.
Third and last, change the personal writings (of your feelings or so) into poetry. I'm sure you know how to rhyme so I don't need to tell you that obviously.

I hope I could help you a bit with these tips. Because after this I usually find a beat, plan the flow I'm ready to go for a record session.

Greetings,
Tinem;)

What would recommend to beat makers? I usually know exactly what I want to hear and I can hum it and do a beat box into my iPhone voice memos but when it comes to recording, I procrastinate for fear that it won't turn out as I imagined it would.. Sometimes I'd have to hit the bottle to loosen me up..

Usually people that have writers block have something unorganized (For me anything unorganized will ruin my mind state, if my room is messy, if I did not take a bath, if I have dirty clothes, ect). For me personally I absolutely have to have everything clean before my mind can be clean otherwise I can't get shit done. I started writing when I was like 14 or in the 9th grade. I only had writers block like around 4 years after that time period and from what I can remember I had it for like a good few months. I never get writers block, I am 22 now so I was probably around 17-18 when I had true writers block.

What I mean by that, I could think of lines but I could not stick with them. I would write a few things down, then I would throw them away.

Looking back on that I can probably assume it was to me over working myself, I would call those my begging years of writing. What happened was I probably hit a point where I was overwhelm with to much material and in fact it was that.

I used to have in school supsension and I would write 4 entire raps with 3 verses and a chorus before the end of the school day.

My point, I was doing too much to fast, what happened is that I had a pile of papers/raps every week that were so big my brain wanted to explode because half were finished and half were done + I am trying to remember them all.

I FIXED MY WRITERS BLOCK WITHIN 1 DAY LITERALLY

I think this was near the end of high school, one day I decided to start over. I took every rap that I had and ripped them up and threw them in the garbage. Best choice I ever made in my life, I basically took everything out my brain and hit the restart button.

Ever since then I had no problem and never got writers block again. Now I either keep or not keep a rap, where as before I would keep alot of my raps even if I didn't like them or they were half done. I do not start on songs that I do not like, the songs I like alot I try to record and the songs I just like I only keep in a folder.

That is the difference, so I had writers block from my MIND being unorganized, I fixed it by ripping all my raps apart and resting my mind to a clear state.

This is how I do my shit
- Decide if I am in the mood to write
- Find a beat (this is the hardest because I am picky when it comes to beats)
- Think of a random flows/chorus's in my head while listening to the beat
- If I think I can make something I usually then download that beat
- I then write to it
- When I am done it goes in a folder or stays in a notebook

I then either keep it for my own personal use, or decide to record it.

After I record it I then decide if the recording is good enough to put on a CD or not

If its not then I put it in a seperate folder, if I recorded it really good then I put it in another folder where only I have that song and nobody else gets to listen to it (besides a few people I let) because I keep it for the future when I put CD's together.

The only songs I let people hear are my play around songs.

When i get writers block, i take like a 30 min break. Put on a different beat and after i get through the first 2-3 bars i can usually snap myself out of it

hey buddy,

lots of good advice here. i would say try some new experiences. things that interest you.
3 things that have really generated TONS of inspiration for me personally that i think, if any writer or mc/rapper is not utilizing, then they are probably not worth listening to anyway because they are limited and disabled.

you can generate tons of inspiration from nature, so get out there and marvel the world. this cannot be overrated...one of the best origins of some of the greatest things ever accomplished in mankind's history.

read books that you are interested in. i would also recommend reading books that you are not interested in. they will establish great insight toward areas that you might not feel so comfortable or educated in. this is another source of inspiration that cannot be understated. if you are always learning, you always have a source of information to derive new ideas and writings from.

study art. magnificent way to channel interesting ideas and thoughts. brings great new perspective to writing and thinking.

aside from these, a simple method i have used in the past is to take the notes/thoughts/ideas that i have jotted down in the past and use them as a blueprint for a new project. you can take those scattered notes and fragmented thoughts and compile them into a project that finally gives them meaning.

good luck man...but seriously read some books.

Back