no one wants to hear your depressing music

YOU ARE RIGHT, I AM overthinking this. no one will listen to me and no one will care what I am saying.

I think that is not the point of what he is saying… It is not that "no one will listen/care what you are saying"…

The point it that you are a new artist without an established following. People don't know to look for you yet. it is not the time to worry about what a particular song will do for your "persona"… the first step is just to make some music.

Just make what I like and am inspired to make at the time.

now, THAT is the point!

My issue is. all my finished songs are dark and the ones in the works are lighter and more uplifting.

Do I just release it as it is made or do I plan out... ok 4 feel good tracks and then hit them with the I killed my girlfriend song. my dad just died song and my pet just shit on the carpet song. (i have not made any of those songs)

an "album" is a collection of songs that "go together" in some way. You may want to release all your "dark" songs as a collection… or not… its really up to you.

You may say "all these songs, though lyrically different from the rest are a similar musical style" and hence belong together… or you may say "I have some happy songs and some sad songs so I think I'll group them that way"… etc, etc

One last thing. do you think a "I dont care what anyone thinks, I just make music for me" attitude, is needed to create the best music possible?
Or could someone who overthinks everything, and creates partially for an audience, create music on a similar high creative and appealing level?

Thanks again.

there is no right/wrong better/worse way. It is all about you.

…and "best" is a subjective term. If you just want to write the "best" music you can that expressed what it inside of you, then you should just make the music you want to make-- because anything else would be a compromise.

If you want to make music for the masses, then by definition you need to be making music to please others.

There is, of course, no reason something purely made for yourself couldn't be embraced by the masses.

Back