(New Track) Statue of the Reef

Bigwon

hey folks, so here's a new one me. Pulled out the singing voice again, and went over one of my more recent instrumentals. I hope you enjoy it. Also i'd like to give respect out to Bojangles who supplied me the sax sample which was used as the solo. Again i hope you enjoy.

Links: http://rnwhiphop.bandcamp.com/track/statue-of-the-reef
or
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=566397&songID=9379456

Vocals, Lyrics, Instrumental by: R&W

Lyrics:

troubles facing life
along a beach barren of sand
struggles to make him cry
no hold of a sharing hand
tried to dance alone
as they stared upon from the sea
felt there mockery
as they had non to greive

oh statue of the reef
that rain you used to feel
tears you used to spill
life you used to breathe
skin and bone paved to stone
reborn as you made your home
can't make beleive your peace
oh statue of the reef

with every tear he wept
he felt the shame
growing weary of death
as his life stilled the same
felt no love from the sea
a cry for help he'd soon deny
felt they had nothing to see
but a blank gloom in eye

oh statue of the reef
tears you used to spill
life you used to breathe
oh statue of the reef

felt his broken heart failing him
as he withered with skorn
feels there prevailing winds
weather his stone
tried to disguise his grief
wanted to hide every cry or weep
fell between a hard place and rock
forever paying the cost

oh statue of the reef
tears you used to spill
life you used to breathe
oh statue of the reef

You've got an interesting voice. To me, in feels like I'm watching a movie's opening scene. How long did it take to write this?

DAWG this ish is nice...I love blues. Although I'd wait until theres a pause in the singing to throw in the sax

thanks for the kindness guys! From what i recall it might've been up 2 hours (i'm one of those folks who just gets up and paces back and forth or lies back in chills inbetween each line...hehe)

I'm thinking that sax could probably move to, i'm thinking of re-doing it at some point so i think i'm definately going to play with that idea flo.

thanks for the listens and feed!

Having not listen to some of your stuff in a long while, I have to be honest, I was surprised, but in a good way!

I enjoyed it, the style of the singing and the track, I think the mix could be improved a bit, but then again I'm not on adequate monitors right now to really stick by that judgment.

I really enjoyed the lyrics, sort of sad yet poetic. Lately I've been on a binge of finding out what motivates certain songs and what are the meanings behind them. Could you speak on why you wrote this song?

thanks SG! it's been awhile! Well at first it was just a sample i flipped which turned into this. Then the name popped into my mind when naming it. From there i just thought of what i could draw out from it.

To me the meaning of the song is generally 'repressed emotion', the effect of holding anger or sadness in while pretending to perpetuate otherwise.

it's sort of like gluing a mask to your face, and the longer you wear it the dryer the glue gets and before you know it's quite a mess to take off...hehe...

hope for my sake that makes sense...lol!

yeah man this is great love the lyrics kinda agree with flonomonal with the sax but still sounds nice. keep it up dude

man i didnt even see this post bro, what can i say it was dope as usual, kinda lke it when you sing more than when you rap dont know why, i think you should add some guitar to the beat just some simple chords with heavy delay and tremelo, pluck each note in the chord individually and just let it wash out and bounce around i think that would add a lot to the track, try it lol

thanks guys, i'll definately keep the sax in mind when i'm mixing it. and wais i don't think i'd be able to do that (i don't know how to record my acoustic in decent quality, i've still got some work to do in the guitar department anyways.....lol) It'd be dope if you ever feel like playing anything over this, i'd just open up fl, and mess around with the mix a bit.

yea i need to get back to playing guitar yesterday i played for the first time in months im gettin the bug again. anyways just try different things, i used to loosen up all the strings then put the mic inside the guitar then retune, it sounds good to me, or i just place the mic as close to the soundhole as possible without my strumming hittin it, you got a good mic so it should come out fine, i was recording with a radio shack mic

i always feel like someones dying in your music lol i mean you vocals lets be honest sounds depressing.. i guess its a blues vibe the whole hard ship theme but damn im depressed now =/

good stuff

hehe thanks! its weird how this one came to, i just titled the beat...liked it so i aimed to build a concept off of it and after a bunch of brainstorming it just became this.

haha hope something happy strikes you to make up for it!

Back