Looking for Inspiration.....

Whats up....Been a quite a long time since we last spoke......Very busy in the lab....It's amazing how long it can take just to get the first few layers of a song out......But once you've got it down and sounding good....It just doesn't seem like enough......I'm endlessly analyzing my favorite artists music, yet I don't wanna bite style or use their clever production concepts.....So I'd like to know where do you guys get your new ideas? Many of you are mad intelligent and clearly gifted....I have a good ear for music, but must admit I've got quite a broken away style from mainstream club banging stuff......The Hip Hop scene is without a doubt going to make a drastic change in upcoming years.....Rap record sales are going down (if you really want the citation for that it's in a issue of The Week, a very notable and informative magazine)..... May sound crazy to say, but I refuse to throw my stuff online simply because I want to stay a step ahead of the genre and possible bring a new sound......Yet, recently I've been artistical out of ideas within the past weeks and want to know if any could provide ideas, incite, etc. to get my rotors moving again....... :confused:

do you sample?? if so, you can do what all the greats do... revert back to the ol' school... put on a marvin gaye record, a temptations record, or something else with soul... i always start with a simple drum track, scroll through my library of sound, and go from there... whatever i'm feeling at the time... whatever you do... NEVER ERASE YOUR WORK!! do you know any ladies that sing?? ask them to write a hook... explain it to her that it's like a real short poem that you can recite over and over again... (you never know what they come up with)... i dunno what else to say... i'm not much of an emcee, but that doesn't mean i can't write... when push comes to shove, i do it... you will too

You're looking for inspiration, all the while inspiration has been looking for you. I tell artists all the time that inspiration is your imagination. The more you're creative with it, the better you'll become inspired with just about anything. Also, staying ahead of the game is just learning about what you don't know. Don't be afraid to release your best music... PUT IT OUT & see where it goes.. You can either wait forever on a plan, OR use effective strategies to ultimately get what you want. Your choice!!

Back