Listening your own songs over... and over again

psihobambi

Do you ever make a beat and you jump around the room all happy thinking you're a ****ing genius ? We all do from time to time, don't we ?
Well, do you ever listen to that same beat over and over again for days and days ? Turning on your DAW just to listen to it when you have nothing else to do.
Before you even realize it, the beat loses it's initial magic and you're left wondering if this beat was any good in the first place.
It's not even a thing of your music standing up to a test of time, it's a thing of your music standing up to the test of listening to it like an idiot 15 times a day.
Does this happen to you ?

Last edited:
haha I've definitely found myself doing this often... If you listen to any beat/song often enough though it's always going to lose it's magic after a certain point. The way I judge it is how good the beat lends itself to vocals. Like if I am freestyling over it or catching melodies to sing, I know it's good. What I'm saying is, if it begins losing that initial feeling you had after a week of listening to it everyday that doesn't mean it isn't a good beat.

Wow, it's nice to someone else does this, too!
What I usually do to see if it has the magic I think it does is send it to a few people, listen to it a few times, and stop listening it for a week. With the people I take their feedback and criticism into play and make whatever changes they suggest and I feel would work, and the waiting a week part is so that you remember the basis of the beat, but perhaps not all of it. This way you can know if maybe it does have the magic you're looking for.

It happens all the time.. Not unless if i'm playing it at different times/places and doing different things. For me it only feels like the beat is losing it's touch if it's over produced. That's something that i try to stay away from. I guess you can say that i really live up to my producer name/brand

Happens to me all time, but thanks to this I found out some of my songs didn't lose the magic even after that, so it makes me like them even more.

Yes! I have too done this. Some stuff I still go back and I am still awed about it! Some I just cant even deal with it ,even though when I made it it was amazing.

ALL THE TIME
Every single time I make a track that I really like I do this. A good piece of advice I found is to bounce it out of the DAW and just listening to it without seeing any of the waveforms or anything. I also play the track in my car and from a room over. I tell myself it's because I'm critically listening, but the truth is I just love the beat or song I made so much I can't get enough of it. I guess I'm my biggest fan...

you gotta do that sometimes ... don't overdue it though, that's why most radio songs loose their appeal. your brain gets tired of incessant repetition & will need something new.

Whenever I'm that much in love with my own beat I usually just embrace it for a week (that feeling is really what we're chasing after all), then I leave it for 3 weeks to see how good it really is.

I do this sometimes but when the beat starts feeling dead to me i use that to motivate me to kill it even harder

Yes

this is my life -.- before i released my first albums i had already made over 100 songs and i played them on repeat perfecting them for 6 years, during a few years i didnt have internet so i basically just listened to my own stuff over and over and nothing else hahaha gets crazy after a while you feel hell narcissistic but cant stop cos damn deez beats are dope.

Wooooooooooooooow this post is accurate af lmao... yo I'm my biggest fan sometimes but at the flip of a switch I'm my BIGGEST hater. I've deleted beats in the past because I thought they were trash, even though I felt like the man a coupe days ago lmao. I guess that's why we want validation from others... we can't judge something accurately if we've been listening to it from before it was even a real beat.

PS I don't delete beats anymore... that's a very counterproductive thing to do lol... just my random 2 cents

Honestly, every song with time will start to sound more and more "standard". That happens with anything, i think having honest outside opinions keeps me focused on whether the track is feeling/sounding good or not.

Back