A lil help with the lyricism.

jbritto

I have been writing songs and making my own music since I was 17. Now I want to get better at my lyricism skills. Any1 have any ideas on how to improve in this topic! I mean, I am getting better and better making beats but still have to work on my lyrics. Any1! :cry:

I'm pretty much right there with you. I find that reading seems to help me. What type of musing are you trying to write, cause lyrics seem to change from genre to genre.

RnB kinda music! I donno, my style is kinda different. Here is a link of 1 of my songs in youtube. I really don't like the lyrics of this song, thats why I need to improve on the lyricism. And yea I do the occasional reading but still. Any easier ways to improve lyricism! I would like to know your point of view
thanx

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

RnB kinda music! I donno, my style is kinda different. Here is a link of 1 of my songs in youtube. I really don't like the lyrics of this song, thats why I need to improve on the lyricism. And yea I do the occasional reading but still. Any easier ways to improve lyricism! I would like to know your point of view

youtube.com/watch?v=3lskO_lUtC8

thanx

the best way to get better is step outside of your comfort zone. is you do r n b maybe write a rap song or even rock. anything that will force you to think differently. try to use different words, dont re use the same words or ryhmes in all of your songs. go deeper into a topic then one sentence mentioning the basic principals of it, expand further on ideas. writing lyrics is a lot like writing an essay. make sure you have the same main focus through out the song, and last but def not least. . . be creative.

Seasizzle is right, you need to get out of your comfort zone of what "you want to be" and what "you can be". Your lyrics have alot if repetitions, kind of like your repeating your hook in your lyrics. You also might want to work on flow & delivery also.

Also reading could help. Listen to rnb artist that you like and read the lyrics when u listen to their songs, that sometimes helps with my writing. or read things dealing with ur certain topic

Just read in general. Read literature, analyze how poets and authors use their rhymes and metaphors, interpret what they mean. Read the dictionary daily, if your art is bending words, your vocabulary and understanding of words used in a particular language should be at a high level.

I recommend looking for free writing courses, and speech skills online to help out a little bit, and learn what you can off youtube.

Back