Just started rapping / How to improve...?

Grape

Aspiring Producer
Just started rapping / How can I improve?

Hi,

So I've been making beats for a bit and just started writing lyrics really recently. I've never really rapped before unless you count the obvious repeating one liners on a track, but I recorded a little freestyle to a beat.

However since it's literally my first time rapping and I have little experience recording, hearing my voice, learning flows etc, I think it sounds totally whack, at least compared to when I do bits not on the mic.

I'm linking a rough cut/mix without any ad-libs just to see what you think and all that. I wanted to do it slow really, although i'm not sure if it just sounds forced and shitty but yeah anyway, don't rip on me too hard now.

Should I rap faster do a proper flow? I was just trying to go for a slow drawn out kind of thing... please listen, thanks...

private link: https://soundcloud.com/user-295049010/rough-cut/s-4G7EW

Last edited:
If you have never rapped before now is the time and there is no right or wrong time to start. A proper flow can be attained if you are willing to put in the time and there is nothing wrong with slow and drawn out unless you are a mumble rapper which is not the thing to be. Main thing you should ask yourself is why do you want to rap.

I say study other rappers while u gain your own style dont quit cause u will get fustrated it worked 4 me i was never anything special but i mos def improved in time

I encourage rappers I work with (my friends who mostly never rapped except for rapping along to songs) to find random rappers and listen to their pandora stations. To find a style they like, my personal style is a blend of my big influences and has evolved over the years. I was terrible when I was 14, I stopped actually rapping when I was about 17 but I was leaps and bounds better. Listen to a wide variety of artists and study how they do their deliveries. From Wu-Tang to Yung Lean, listen to a good mix. There are millions of delivery patterns, some of them don't even have to be exactly on beat (I can provide a video of rappers who rap off beat intentionally).

I wish you luck, hit me up if you're looking to collaborate, I don't rap much anymore, mostly only at parties or occasionally writing a song at the request of my friends.

Back