Intelligence? block or gain? ..

T

thadon41

Wut yall think of intelligence in rappers ..?
just somit is wuz thinkin bout .. .

rappers usually have a image of being off the street, un-educated . .ETC ETC ETC . . . .

but do yall think that some-one whos intelligent couldnt make a good MC?...
or do yall think that intelligence would help?...

Pos up on dis . .. . .

Intelligence wins hands down!!!!
it's cool to flow bout the street, but you couldn't make a whole album about it.
to be good you have to have a medium..you have to be able to buss dirty like the rest of them and then be able to take to that next level where kats have to listen twice to get the meaning...or go look up a book to know what ya talking about.
thats why KRS 1 held such a rep....raised the ante when it was needed...

out:)

Look at Talib Kweli, Mos Def, KRS... all very bright people. Makes quite a contrast to Nore and the Smut Peddlers, doesn't it?

Intelligence Is a very important as a rapper, regardless of how street you are. It will only serve to enhance your lyrical ability. In my opinion, the more intelligent you are the larger your vocabulary will become. It's just too many dudes be in the streets and not school so they are gonna have a weaker, limited vocabulary. Which is why a lot of these rappers can only rap about drugs, money cars or whatever and they all sound the same. But what they lack in vocab they make up for with swagg' which is why a lot of these artist become popular nowadays. Plus they are driven by super production. However, if you listen to a a lot of underground rappers they seem to have a broader vocabulary but the production value isn't as on par as the commercial artist. Plus in my opinion, most (but not all) lack that street swagger. So thats why hybrid rappers (as i like the call them) are what the game needs. 2pac Jay-z and Nas are the epitome of this, they always deliver clever vocab with rugged street beats and swagg. Sorry for the long opinion, I could go on for days about this.

Last edited:
Ignorance and Apathy shouldn't be something that discredits a rapper.
If you happen to be intelligent, why shouldn't you write rap? I have a 146 IQ, and I rap...I think the major difference between the idea of an "unintelligent"(UI) and "intelligent"(I) rapper is the content of which each rapper speaks upon.
The "UI" rapper will stick with what is considered good, and will virtually never step out of the box, while the "I" rapper will often talk about more social and political aspects of the world, and will strive to make a difference.

Intelligence Is a very important as a rapper, regardless of how street you are. It will only serve to enhance your lyrical ability. In my opinion, the more intelligent you are the larger your vocabulary will become. It's just too many dudes be in the streets and not school so they are gonna have a weaker, limited vocabulary. Which is why a lot of these rappers can only rap about drugs, money cars or whatever and they all sound the same. But what they lack in vocab they make up for with swagg' which is why a lot of these artist become popular nowadays. Plus they are driven by super production. However, if you listen to a a lot of underground rappers they seem to have a broader vocabulary but the production value isn't as on par as the commercial artist. Plus in my opinion, most (but not all) lack that street swagger. So thats why hybrid rappers (as i like the call them) are what the game needs. 2pac Jay-z and Nas are the epitome of this, they always deliver clever vocab with rugged street beats and swagg. Sorry for the long opinion, I could go on for days about this.

I agree that the hybrids are the ones who make it to the mainstream but show that they are intelligent. many people simply do not take lyrics for they are and what they say, which is commercial rap really doesn't say sh*t worth listening to. This continues the cycle because people begin to expect nonsensical words over a bangin beat, and nod a passively thinking mind to a mindless track. I'm an active thinker, and while it is important to appeal to the streets (as is the perception that people have of rap these days, but that's another subject), I feel that I must challenge that same audience to think differently. I'm not going to continuously reiterate what 1,001 and 1/2 "rappers" said to you before you heard my track, because then you'll simply say "Yea, i'm feelin dat. i lived that. he knows wats up. dats cool." No, i want a different response such as," WHy the hell did he say that? WTF is he talkin about? This dude on sum otha sh*t" I want to challenge you to think like me and understand me. Intelligence can op[en u up to many topics that most wouldn't consider, allowing for diversity, personality, presence, and growth.

Intelligence doesn't mean you write about intelligent topics. Many rappers out there who publish only projects containing street anthems and booty shaking club songs are very intelligent in the fact that they are marketing toward a demographic that they know will buy and play their music consistently.

I think as any individual in any business, intelligence is invaluable.

-E.

Many rappers out there who publish only projects containing street anthems and booty shaking club songs are very intelligent in the fact that they are marketing toward a demographic that they know will buy and play their music consistently.
-E.

Quoted for such truth

Intelligence is a win-win for me because the effect it leaves behind the music. Now at times i do not wanna just listen to not so much intellectual music depending on the mood i'm in and who i'm around. For the most part.. The majority of people in our society are party goers, so they don't necessarily listen to intelligence music, not unless the artist is very great and can pull off songs with an party/intellectual level of sound. Overall i think it's important whether or not is it respected or appreciated in hiphop music.

Back