If your using a good loop Riff do you also still have to add chords to the song?

JAMESUK

Hi everyone,

I just wanted some advice about something. There are so many loops now available for dance and urban music and I just wanted to know if you use a particularly strong Loop which has a strong synth riff do you still need to add chords underneath this loop? Or is it possible to just use the Loop/Riff itself for the whole song without using any piano/synth chords underneath it?

All input would be welcome.

Music is an expression of your creativity. The choice is yours.

A few DJ's have got away with using a full synth loop from a pack for the main riff

@1m23s

The Hating on Steve Angello Explained.. EDM HISTORY LESSON! - YouTube Specifically that one.

BUT it won't get you far unless you get creative with them. You'll probably impress your friends but not people in the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. In my opinion, sometimes.
Basically if i feel like it lol. sometimes in the mood for just the base sample, then other times feel like adding more to a sample with chords and riffs.

Hi mitchiemasha and Konkosskang,

As a newbie its always good to know what other songwriters and producers are doing and what is possible when composing songs.

I suppose even if you add chords behind a Loop/Riff you can have them way down in the mix right? So you get the basis of the harmony around the loop but in a very subtle way.

Many thanks.

This just my opinion but seriously I'd do what I feel like when making a track and sampling or synthesizing. It's that simple man lol.
Subtle, in yo face, swirling like gauge round the temple man seriously it depends on what I feel like doin at the time whether sampling/synthesizing or both [Sound Designing] That's the only answer I can give:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted some advice about something. There are so many loops now available for dance and urban music and I just wanted to know if you use a particularly strong Loop which has a strong synth riff do you still need to add chords underneath this loop? Or is it possible to just use the Loop/Riff itself for the whole song without using any piano/synth chords underneath it?

All input would be welcome.

my position is that you should not be adding chords that conflict with the chords in the loop, but that does not mean that you cannot add additional chordal/melodic instruments to the final arrangement

Back