I rap and make beats but find myself lost between the two

AM90

im a good rapper and im a good producer yet i find myself lost in confusion when ever im in the mood to create like should i make a beat or should i write a rap should i use an old beat should i work on a new beat to write this new rap lol **** :bigeyes: i need some help with my priorities iv been working on a mixtape on and off for well over 7 months can some onebless the kid with some advice

Tell me about it! I rap, make my own beats and produce other rappers and i always think rather than being really good at one thing im ok at them all haha.. I tend to just focus on making beats and rather than force writing lyrics just wait untill im feeling inspired and just go with it like that.. Sometimes i find im making a beat based around a flow or idea i have for a verse.. I also tend to write to other producers beats to have a break from myself..

Id focus on setting up a concept for your mixtape ie; get your beats all layed out with rough ideas first and then fill in the blanks after..

If you need to get a fix in between, try writing to another producers beat.. Those lyrics could then be used over one of your own later!

Good luck ;)

Peace

Most Rappers who produce , tend to focus mainly on Producing . e.g Dr Dre , Swizz Beat , Timbaland. I think you should produce as many beats as you can , then when inspiration hits you , just pick a beat from the beats you already produced and write to it

Tell me about it! I rap, make my own beats and produce other rappers and i always think rather than being really good at one thing im ok at them all haha.. I tend to just focus on making beats and rather than force writing lyrics just wait untill im feeling inspired and just go with it like that.. Sometimes i find im making a beat based around a flow or idea i have for a verse.. I also tend to write to other producers beats to have a break from myself..

Id focus on setting up a concept for your mixtape ie; get your beats all layed out with rough ideas first and then fill in the blanks after..

If you need to get a fix in between, try writing to another producers beat.. Those lyrics could then be used over one of your own later!

Good luck ;)

Peace

Listen to this guy, if you force it too much, take a lil break.

I produce and write, and tend to find a nice balance between

I produce and write as well, I find myself making beats a lot more than I have been rapping. However, I do keep a journal and continue writing whether it be lyrics, poetry or just a blurb about my day it really helps me get better with my rapping. Also, journals are good for other reasons too so I definitely recommend picking one up because you can write out your priorities in order and sort them out by setting goals to keep you motivated for getting your mixtape done. It's a good way to relax, really calms you down to write about those little things that went wrong in your day.
tl;dr: Journals are super helpful for organizing everything in your life

Being a rapper/producer is pretty hard sometimes. It's great to know what your ears like and you produce a beat based on that, but of course sometimes when you are a rapper as well, you may wanna take some of your best beats and rap to them and sell the other ones.

It be like that sometimes bros I do the same thing I started learning and then never stopped.

One good thing about being both performer and producer of a track, is that when you write down lyrics and get a feeling of the flow, you will start to feel a sort of "rythm" inside you that just fits in the flow.

Then you start to make a sound inside your head that just fits the rap and rythm, and BAM, you both have a beat and a rap.

Last edited:
I would focus on producing because that is something that needs more attention and time to develop. Also you should be able to write when you are inspired to and not have to schedule it. Also if you are trying to make a career of this, then you need to go where you have the best chance of making money and making it the soonest. If you can make a name for yourself in one are, it will help you succeed in the other, so put most of your time in where you can get on the soonest, then diversify.

I agri with the ideal of laying beats 1st thn lyrics coz am also a rapper and a producer bt wn i tried 2 make beats and write lyrics conqarent i end up in mass confusion

I agree I also sometimes feel conflicted like the time I split up between rapping and producing means instead of mastering a craft I only become decent.

J. Cole says he sometimes makes 5 beats before liking one and rapping to it and Kanye said something similar in some video where he was doing commentary over him making a beat .

I rap and produce too.
I also make musicvideos and edits ( kinda everything )
I know how you feel :0

If i were you i would consider putting first things first.. If you're going to put out a mixtape, you first need to come up with the concept of how it will sound and feel. Next draw the blueprint for what type of tracks you want to make and get to it with the instrumentals. Stay fully devoted and committed until you move on to writing the lyrics. That way once it's finished, everything will sound and feel more cohesive.

Same here but i like to produce a lot of beats, helps other rapper's and when i feel inspired to write i look up some other producer's beats or even just an instrumental type of beat from what ever mood im in and write to that! You can't predict a time to write unless you want to start some drama and then go write about it lol I like to share my beats with other producer's so check them out if you want! (Youtube: Kay Evin Music)

Tip: Put some hook's on your beats. Sometimes we might not be inspired for a whole song but maybe a catchy hook for your beats.

I'd say focus on what you're most passionate about. But as a producer, you'll find it's easier to make beats and profit that way by leasing. Rapping has it's place though.. invest time into both. Good luck.

I also struggle with this exact problem. For me, I find it difficult to spend hours upon hours on a beat, then writing to it. As a writer/producer, I also struggle with the dilemma of keeping a beat or shopping it. Whats given me inspiration lately, is to go back to somewhat older beats that i forgot about. I've been riding a wave of creativity. In between that write to other producers beats. Get your thoughts off, but keep the work in the tuck.

This exact problem! Its slightly worse if you are a singer/producer I think. Sometimes I just record my vocal melody first and craft an instrumental around it but generally I find just making loads of beats and then writing to them / finding my existing lyrics that go with the beat.

For a rapper instead of recording the vocal first you could just make a drum loop, then you can write some bars to fit with the rhythm, record that and then build your beat.
What helped me the most is doing whatever I feel whenever I feel like it. If I want to record vocals, I will. They can always be re-recorded later once you have the instrumental. This way you are constantly doing something, eventually things will come together. Doing this I have managed to create 2 1/2 mixtapes worth of material in the last 4 months whereas I never used to finish anything!

Also, whatever is your driving inspiration point for the song is where you should start. Some people are melodically focused, some rhythmic, some lyrics etc, find your source of inspiration and use it to get into your flow

Spend equal time on both, make all your songs 100% yours, get famous, reap ALL of the royalties!

...then wake up and realize dreams don't come true

...lol

Back