Humour in hip hop lyrics, any tips?

Barfunkel

I'm currently writing my first hip hop record. It's a concept record about a fictional character, this smalltime criminal/rapper/drug user, who's a bit delusional/schitzophrenic and often has trouble discerning what is reality and what is stuff he learned from listening to too much gangsta rap.

The tone of the lyrics is basically over the top gangsta rap stuff, set in the small neighbourhood of a peaceful little town in my native Finland. The humour comes from this character's adventures, in which he often thinks that the neighbourhood is like Compton, he has all kinds of grandiose plans which inevitably fail and several (hopefully clever) references to all kinds of things, ranging from classic hip hop records to all kinds of cultural phenomenoms.

I've already written about 10 songs (though a few of them are incomplete), but I'm not yet satisfied with them. Some funny stuff in there, but also some quite pretentious and amateurish stuff.

So, any tips on writing humorous hip hop lyrics? I'm not a professional lyricist by any means, it'd be useful to hear about typical pitfalls one might fall in in such a project.

I'm currently writing my first hip hop record. It's a concept record about a fictional character, this smalltime criminal/rapper/drug user, who's a bit delusional/schitzophrenic and often has trouble discerning what is reality and what is stuff he learned from listening to too much gangsta rap.

The tone of the lyrics is basically over the top gangsta rap stuff, set in the small neighbourhood of a peaceful little town in my native Finland. The humour comes from this character's adventures, in which he often thinks that the neighbourhood is like Compton, he has all kinds of grandiose plans which inevitably fail and several (hopefully clever) references to all kinds of things, ranging from classic hip hop records to all kinds of cultural phenomenoms.

I've already written about 10 songs (though a few of them are incomplete), but I'm not yet satisfied with them. Some funny stuff in there, but also some quite pretentious and amateurish stuff.

So, any tips on writing humorous hip hop lyrics? I'm not a professional lyricist by any means, it'd be useful to hear about typical pitfalls one might fall in in such a project.[/QUOTE/]

Just be you and do you. R Kelly made money off a whole song/story about cheating and it was pretty basic in terms of metaphors/punchlines. Just write it as you would want to hear it.

Don't worry that you ain't a pro. Given your concept I suggest finding and listening to songs that parody and/or satire rap tropes, start with Black Sheep's "U Mean I'm Not."

Back