How to flow on a beat?

-_-

How do you flow on a rap beat? I have a 2 Bar loop so how should I go off from that?
OK...this is almost impossible to explain to a person in the form of written words. Your best answer lies in listening very closely to another rapper. Learn the words to a few songs and rap along until you can do it acappella. Flowing is something that should happen on its own, like how your head knods when you hear a song you like. Having a "dope" flow is whole 'nother story...

Last edited:
Just let the beat ride and go with what comes to you. If you're writing for a particular beat, try to match the dynamics.

Study music first if you have to. Learn what bars are and learn how to count them. Learning to count them will lead to teaching yourself how to feel the rhythm with bars. Good luck! This is a hard thing to explain.

When I started to rap, I was told to write a line of lyric to the 4 counts in one bar. Write a line of lyric that rhymes with the first line on the next 4 counts in the second bar. That's a good starting point in regards of writing lyrics. Start flowing like that, and make variations in your flow as you get better, make it more complex, and just kind of follow the flow of the beat!

Last edited:
Alienaircraftmusic, give the boy some slack man :) We can't all be born naturals like Nas or Pharoahe Monch. Alot of good rappers started in the way I described. Including me, that's how I started, but as time went by with practice I got better and better :)

1. Feel the flow of the beat, move with it find the groove, do what you have to do...
2. Find your emphasis points, (the art of the shadowbox) bob and weave to the beat, the points where it is natural to throw hooks and straights, indicates the place.
3. Now you gotta set up those power shots, jabs, feints, body shots, and blocks.
4. Your choice of combinations can be born from the depths of your notebook, physical or mental, off the top, or nonsensical.
5. Last but not least, it's a performance. You need to stay in touch with the length of the fight, your audience, your opponent, your footwork...
6. Execute to the point where you leave it all in the ring Grasshopper.

out

like dis

nahh but honestly you should just study the way rappers flow. And try to understand it, then just do your thing.

Heres a couple people i like with tight flows: Biggie, Big L, Kendrick, Andre 3000, Joey Badass, Nas and AZ. Of course theres a ton of them but i just named a coupled that came into mind.

There are so many different flows, you can use one somebody else has already used or try to come up with your own. Different beats call for different flows.

Listen the beats melody and think that your words and all syllables are instruments you hit top of drums. You need to listen the beat so many times that you feel the flow. Good way to find flow is try to simulate drums of the beat with your muscles. Jump littlebit your all muscles of your body on every kick, hat and snare, then just start to rap while doing this. Think that those drums are elecrity shocks to your body and move with them.
When you later learn how to flow naturally you dont need to do this anymore.
It will work if you understand what I mean.

I mean that you need try to fit your words all syllables and wovels between the drum voices. If lyrics dont fit you need to change them.

Back