How do you train to be a better MC?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
If that was your point, you're being judgemental of all my music from 2 songs that I featured on with orther artists.
I can only form opinions based on what I know, but I did make sure to ackknowledge that I was forming my opinions based on just the 2 songs.

Rhyme about what you know and less about fantasy.

I tend to rhyme what I went thru the day. past experiences (high school girls, after school parties, friends) recent childhood stuff like seeing a man get killed by one punch, etc. Things you think other people would want to hear. I want to relate to the person listening those are the best songs.

What's up with this 16 bars? Is that the standard length of a single verse?

Mainboi23SX said:
Things you think other people would want to hear. I want to relate to the person listening those are the best songs.

Don't you end up writing for other people? How would you know what others want to hear?

Vapor One said:
Some things I do to improve my artform:

.: Write a short essay on an idea without rhyming. Then, I rewrite it with rhymes.

.: Write notes while reading or listening to something or watching TV or whatever. I use these notes as metaphors in rhymes (eg. "Curious like Gay-Lussac, I'm exploring whole new heights.")

Vapor One.

I like your ideas. I've never tried them before but I believe some of them would work

Last edited:
Mainboi23SX said:
Rhyme about what you know and less about fantasy.
Rhyming about "fantasy" doesn't mean you're not rhyming about what you know. It's about taking what you know and twisting it and reshapping it. It's a way of letting your words be bigger than you. If you want to rhyme about true stories, cool, but there's nothing wrong with making them too. An MC should be a writer.

A Str8 why do you argue with them, their ignorant, just let them forever suck at rappin

^^^lol. FPers and their ascentions beyond the realms of reality.

You spending to much time thinking about it. Get a buncha instrumentals and keep writing, you'll get where you wanna be.

^^haha hey thats wat i do, i like to think im a decent emcee, so that works

country boy said:
A Str8 why do you argue with them, their ignorant, just let them forever suck at rappin
If someone disagrees with me but is intelligent and civil about, it is well worth the argument. Maybe I'll teach them something or maybe I'll learn something from them. When you assume that everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, you blind yourself to a lot.

A_Str8 said:
Rhyming about "fantasy" doesn't mean you're not rhyming about what you know. It's about taking what you know and twisting it and reshapping it. It's a way of letting your words be bigger than you. If you want to rhyme about true stories, cool, but there's nothing wrong with making them too. An MC should be a writer.

True, true, just forget what I said about "fantasy"; It really didn't make sense.

I reminicse like mary J/bout back in the days/
when brothers on the MIC had sumthin to say/
when heavy wordz got spoke/jewels got spit/
I aint no joke/that's still the SH**/
em cees made music then historee/
beastie boys,furious5,RUUN D-M-Cee/
Schooly D,Jazzy Jeff,Fresh Prints,wise intelligent/
N W A, ABOVE the LAW all represent/
exactly what ICE T meant/
freedom of speech just watch what you say
Intelligent/ Hoodlum>ARREST the President/
Ice cube was down with the P.E./
2Live crew made news with me so hornee/
southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik/
GETO BOYS,& SCARFACE was sparking that DOWN SOUTH MOVEMENT/
KARDI offishall,RAZSCAL from up north/
KID FROST,CYPRESS HILL,TOO SHORT/
YO theres TONS of names I missed/
but talking bout lyrics these are influence/
we all gotta choice what's in r ears and r face/
every 1 have they time n space/purpose in place/
don't think i'm goin soft cause i reminicse/
poetry connect/reflex when i spit
one day may my name be on all yall list
not just to DIS/but as the illest vocals,beats and lyricist/

NOMAD1luv

[video=youtube;<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/XlreY-jkwWg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/XlreY-jkwWg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>]video[/video]

CLASSIC MATERIAL/But RAKIM Aint NO JOKE

Niccaz be game thinkin that they lyrics'll surge'N
they know they mic's is formed and vergin
and if you aint boned a mic you couldn't hurta B
that's like goin to venus drivin a mecury
the capital of this record slang iz WU-TANG
Witty Unpredictable Talent And Natural Game

LABELS
GZA

you need to cancel that dictionary, encyclopedia, thesaurus and anything like that. dont we all speak english. how long have you been speaking english i hate dictionary rappers. instead cats should read books lots and all kinds of books. learn new words that way so you know how to use them correctly in a sentence aint nothin worse than a cat using a word out of context thinkin he nice while he doin it

I agree - it sounds dumb when someone uses a "big word" and it's obvious they don't really know how to use it - but you can learn a word by reading or hearing it and do that. Whether you're learning words from a dictionary, an enclopedia, from hearing it, or reading books, it's important to learn its proper usage.

My point to add on would be to just be yourself.. Be original & at the same time be remarkable at everything you do. It's really that simple

Back