How do you rap more clearly?

RyanTrapstar

Every time I record a verse either I ****ing mess up or I rap it too fast and mumble. even when I try to slow it down my words sound still a bit mumbly. Any advice?

comfortably

Every time I record a verse either I ****ing mess up or I rap it too fast and mumble. even when I try to slow it down my words sound still a bit mumbly. Any advice?

annunciate your verse using your diaphram, keep your listener locked in by how tense or mellow you deliver your flow. Use your facial muscles saying 'in, our, too, those' - really exagerate your facial muscles while saying your flows.

search up on youtube singing lessons, even tho you are rapping- the basics of singing lessons can and will teach you a lot.

memorize your lyrics so instead of reading them to your listener, you are performing it.

I would say memorizing your lyrics would be a great way to rap clearly. Rap like you're speaking to your audience. Everybody should understand you when you're speaking to them, unless your tongue is tied.

that would be enunciate, which means to pronounce clearly, whereas annunciate means to announce or broadcast

use a metronome or click track to get used to time flowing by at the rate you are trying to say your words

be certain of your syllable structure and how you intend to rhythmitise certain syllable groupings e.g. vanilla could be done with triplets or as 16th-16th-8th or 16th-8th-16th or 8th-16th-16th

makes even less sense

not really, when you sing you use your diaphragm. When you use your diaphragm you are announcing more than breathing. Broadcasting your voice (which is how people sing).

You think people can sing by just talking in their normal person-to-person voice? lol cmon now, even rappers like tech nine use their diaphragm when they record.

Last edited:
actually not called broadcasting or annunciating but projecting - big difference to a trained vocalist

a synonym is not the same as having the exact same meaning; synonym means having similar meaning

as for being right not; so much that as being accurate :)

One of the things you can do is put a pencil or pen in your mouth and hold it with your teeth such that the two ends are pointing to your left and right (Basically like how a dog holds a bone in their mouth), and begin to recite your verse. This exercise FORCES you to over-articulate your words so that when you go to record, the articulations feel more natural and become easier. I would recommend this exercise as a warm-up before recording everyday (This helps you memorize your verse while at the same time working your jaw and tongue muscles, getting them warmed up for rapping and recording).

Like many have said, really force yourself to over articulate when rapping (or even when speaking). Another thing is when your recording, don't be afraid to be loud. I'm not saying yell, but don't speak like you are afraid to wake ur parents up. And a last thing is to try to add hard consonants (like the K sound or the T sound, for example) at the beginning of a bar, forcing you to have a clear starting point and to help you stay on beat.

see how clear you can make your voice/pronunciation without sounding unnatural or dorky. If your one of those types who mumbles like he's stoned or about to pass out in his day to day talking it's usually just a matter of "now let's put some life into my stuff".

I think ignoring trying to make a technical thing about it is your best bet. Just keep practicing and aiming to improve as you go. Show your stuff off whenever you can and get feedback. Don't listen to the "uhhh...yeah this is awesome!" but look to the physical feedback, do they look like a deer in the headlight, awkwardly trying to remove eye contact or just generally bored.....their ya go!

Don't make this more complicated than it is.

just practice man, practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. excercising helps because it gives your lungs more capacity. dont be afraid to re record a verse. one time I spent 5 hours recording two verses.

not really, when you sing you use your diaphragm. When you use your diaphragm you are announcing more than breathing. Broadcasting your voice (which is how people sing).

You think people can sing by just talking in their normal person-to-person voice? lol cmon now, even rappers like tech nine use their diaphragm when they record.

This has no bearing on the OP. Your diaphragm is used, as bc has pointed out, for projecting your voice, and has absolutely bugger all to do with clarity.

me, myself----as i write....i spit what i've written thus far every few lines---while writing/1-to make sure it all flows---2-to make sure that it's understandable...
are you recording this?? (ever try punching in??) or are you just not understandable while spitting? maybe too many syllables you have in a giving line??

Back