How do you guy's keep your lyrics from becoming cliche.

I had this problem a couple of years ago when I first started writing. Honestly it still happens just not as frequently. I try my best to write about what I'm experiencing and what not, and when I start to feel like I'm becoming cliché, I take a break for like a week or two. usually that works, when I come back my ideas are fresh

My suggestion is find some inspiration. Listen to different pop songs or any type of genre and try to incorporate different elements that you enjoyed into your music. Inspiration is everywhere, if you cant find any look somewhere else or look deeper.

Last edited:
think of 5 to 10 topics to write about...the thing about the pop genre, you can make the song about anything and it can sound like a pop record...pop = popular music...popular culture and so forth.

I try to come up with a list of original song titles and stories one night. Then choose one or two to write the next day. Is this a good practice? I mean it's helped me, you guys should try it too!

A tip for you could be to not try so hard to make a "deep og powerful" song. try and make a song of something very simple and almost boring. try and describe it in a very clean way - dont try to make it mean something...

then when you have worked along that thought for a bit, there always seem to emerge something interesting - Not overloaded with meaning and emotions...

Get other people around you who will be brutally honest. My musical partner told me the other day that some of my lyrics sounded like bad 80s power metal. People like this are priceless.

Hello:

There is a songwriting teacher called Pat Patterson.. He is brilliant.. He teaches at Berklee School of Music.. I took some of his courses on line - but they are expensive.. check out any of his books.. There is also a free songwriting course at Coursera.org They give one of his courses..

You want to employ other types of rhymes rather than perfect rhyme (love, dove).. There are quit a few imperfect rhyme types, consonance, assonance, family..etc.. (find-time) Take the course a few times, it is rather a lot to absorb..But your lyrics will improve quite significantly...

change rhyme schemes and add double entendre, also sometimes its not the writing it's how you say it that can change the whole feel of the lyrics. got to make the people feel the words in their hearts.

Being cliche is actually a good thing.

It just means that you are focused on certain subjects. Being focused will help you to create a new a unique style. Once that happens, you will be able to consistently gain new fans and make more money.

People like the same thing repeated over and over anyway. It's just about putting a new face and voice with the same subject matter.

You should try writing about new experiences. Write about subjects that interest you, that you don't rap about. Step out of your comfort zone. Watch the news if you have to! Then even your punchlines will be fresh.

Last edited:
Listen to other songs and instead of rapping or writing the same words start with the first 2 or 3 words of there verse then make a new ending to it

Another problem comes up when you recognize that the lyrics you've written has already existed :( :( :cry:

Keep it genuine. Express don't Impress on your personal songs. It's your baby. What the listener takes from it is on their own. If it's cliche express how cliche it is. But don't be predictable.

Back