How do you get better at scatting?

CG Kid

Aight so I've been rapping 3 and a half years. The past year or so I've been unsure what was really missing to get better. I know I can always improve, but I was unsure how to get the most results for the amount of effort at the time.

Then I discovered this thing called "scatting" and instantly saw tremendous results! I heard about it before, but never took it serious enough to spend some hours trying to implement it, now that I have - I see how crucial it is to my development as a artist.

So for a while I'm going to focus solemnly on improving my ability to write flows with sounds and then translate those into words.

Now, it's harder then I expected it to be. Even though I saw massive improvement in a week of practice, it seems I've hit a barrier where I'm struggling to really know how to get better at it. It feels like my flows that I create in scatting are very similar to each other and I struggle forming new ones.

So I have a few options. I figure I can continue writing new songs for the purpose of practicing scatting and then translating to words, scat with other rappers flows and then try to translate their flow into my lyrics (I'm a speed rapper so this is a bit of a challenge lol), freestyle scat where I repeat a flow pattern then try to replace with words off the top.

I realize a combination of these will probably be necessary, but I'm a little confused on which to focus on. So far I've been spending about a hour and a half a day on each of these, and like I said, I feel I've hit a barrier where I'm not seeing the improvement so much. I'm curious if any of you scat and if you do, how did you most develop your technique? What seems the most logical to focus on at this time?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Back