How do I write a hit song?

tuneitdown

Hey guys, lately I've been wondering about the elements that go into writing a hit song? Such as the song structure, the melody, whether the song has to be in major or minor, the chorus and it's repetitiveness. Like I know that it has to be repetitive but I don't know exactly which part of it has to be repetitive you know?

I definitely don't want to compromise myself and I'm not just making music to write a hit song or anything, I was just wondering what elements go into one you know? So that I would be able to do it whenever. Thanks for your help guys

whether the song has to be in major or minor

You don't make a hit song by overthinking to this degree.

If people share a song then it becomes a hit song, it's as simple as that. What follows from that is up to you. You could create a hit song by making a stupid dance everyone follows and does with there friends. You could make an emotionally triggering song that makes people want to share because of the intense experience they had from it. You could make a highly relatable song that people want to share to show people "who they are". You could make a retarded song that makes people want to share to show people how retarded your song is. The world is your oyster my friend.

proper sound, proper sound design, dynamic range, good arrangement, good idea, "high volume" ( in the end )

maybe learn music for 10 years everyday aswell

you can have your idea good but I don't think if you have "bad mix" you can do it, people love what they understand and know, in some sort of case they passively "love" technical aspect if that help the idea, without knowing it's about mix.

I would say, the idea can be good, but it's like movie. you have the old ones, black and white, maybe a good movie, but we are at the "color" stage now. so if you do just a black and white mix, this will be hard.
but if you think like me that mix, is proper to art in electronic music, you should aswell focus on it as part of the idea art.

( but still work more on the idea )

for make a hit, you should stop doing what you like, and start doing music for other and being psychologic about it, I hate thinking like this, but I guess, study what people would love next, is some sort of way to do the next "hit"

proper sound, proper sound design, dynamic range, good arrangement, good idea, "high volume" ( in the end )

maybe learn music for 10 years everyday aswell

That's how to make good music, not hit music. To some degree it's true though, it has to be listenable and if you want specifically a radio hit rather than an internet meme you would need it to be pretty immaculate.

Depending on the genre of music, I think it varies. I think about what made Rihanna a hit versus Phish... or William Hung. I think real hits come from creating something truly unique to you, in turn writing something original. I wish my response could be less metaphysical haha

dont over think it. write melodies. music is all about feeling! id say focus on melodies before lyrics. record into your voice memos any time you come up with an idea and expand on it later. if it feels good chances are it sounds good! people will like it based off that - i think

dont over think it. write melodies. music is all about feeling! id say focus on melodies before lyrics. record into your voice memos any time you come up with an idea and expand on it later. if it feels good chances are it sounds good! people will like it based off that - i think

Got you man I'll try that is that what it's really about? At least in terms of writin a hit record, is that mainly about melodies and such?

have no talent at all mumble nonsense over a trap beat i wish this wasnt true but it is these days

Lol I know what you mean man, I'm not a mumble rapper though, I really pay attention to the old skool as well as the new and really build by skills so I can actually be somebody in here.

Got you man I'll try that is that what it's really about? At least in terms of writin a hit record, is that mainly about melodies and such?

i think so. most hit songs are hit songs because they get stuck in the listener's head. they're catchy. work on coming up with a melody for a really catchy chorus, then fill it in with lyrics

i think so. most hit songs are hit songs because they get stuck in the listener's head. they're catchy. work on coming up with a melody for a really catchy chorus, then fill it in with lyrics

Ah ok thanks, and what exactly is it about a melody that people like to feel? Is it how it make them dance? Because if it was just about creating a catchy hook then there's many songs out there like that but sometimes it can be a song with a hook that's annoying to listen to, you know?

Agree with everyone pointing out how important melodies are.

Notice how a lot of times, people go "Hey what's that song? it goes hmm hmm hmm" and start humming it perfectly without remembering lyrics and themes?

That's because melodies are what people remember first (if done right).

Agree with everyone pointing out how important melodies are.

Notice how a lot of times, people go "Hey what's that song? it goes hmm hmm hmm" and start humming it perfectly without remembering lyrics and themes?

That's because melodies are what people remember first (if done right).

Got you man, can I post a link to a song a bit later on and ask what you think of it for your criticism? It would be helpful if you could judge if my melodies are good any. Thanks man

Even casual listeners have inherent musical "phrasing" capabilities.

Listen to a few hit tracks.

You'll notice a pattern of distinct parts in the chorus that stick out.

It could be an interesting part of the melody, or words that are fun to say and feel good rolling off the tongue.

These elements are what trigger the audience to be able to remember it, and therefore care enough to continue playing the track.

The title of the track should be connected to this musical phrase that's embedded in the listener's mind.

Even casual listeners have inherent musical "phrasing" capabilities.

Listen to a few hit tracks.

You'll notice a pattern of distinct parts in the chorus that stick out.

It could be an interesting part of the melody, or words that are fun to say and feel good rolling off the tongue.

These elements are what trigger the audience to be able to remember it, and therefore care enough to continue playing the track.

The title of the track should be connected to this musical phrase that's embedded in the listener's mind.

Got you thanks Altuz. Guys what do you think about this song? I know the chorus is kind of old skool like but I feel like I was OK on the melody. What do you suggest I can improve?

Kraemo - Hypocrite [Bar for Bar Contest] - YouTube

Thanks!

Back