Thread: How do I write a hit song?

Thanks

How do I write a hit song?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, lately I've been wondering about the elements that go into writing a hit song? Such as the song structure, the melody, whether the song has to be in major or minor, the chorus and it's repetitiveness. Like I know that it has to be repetitive but I don't know exactly which part of it has to be repetitive you know?

I definitely don't want to compromise myself and I'm not just making music to write a hit song or anything, I was just wondering what elements go into one you know? So that I would be able to do it whenever. Thanks for your help guys

Thanks
    A Million Dollar questione!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tuneitdown View Post
    whether the song has to be in major or minor
    You don't make a hit song by overthinking to this degree.

If people share a song then it becomes a hit song, it's as simple as that. What follows from that is up to you. You could create a hit song by making a stupid dance everyone follows and does with there friends. You could make an emotionally triggering song that makes people want to share because of the intense experience they had from it. You could make a highly relatable song that people want to share to show people "who they are". You could make a retarded song that makes people want to share to show people how retarded your song is. The world is your oyster my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Shostakovich
    A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.

Thanks
    proper sound, proper sound design, dynamic range, good arrangement, good idea, "high volume" ( in the end )

maybe learn music for 10 years everyday aswell

you can have your idea good but I don't think if you have "bad mix" you can do it, people love what they understand and know, in some sort of case they passively "love" technical aspect if that help the idea, without knowing it's about mix.

I would say, the idea can be good, but it's like movie. you have the old ones, black and white, maybe a good movie, but we are at the "color" stage now. so if you do just a black and white mix, this will be hard.
    but if you think like me that mix, is proper to art in electronic music, you should aswell focus on it as part of the idea art.

( but still work more on the idea )

for make a hit, you should stop doing what you like, and start doing music for other and being psychologic about it, I hate thinking like this, but I guess, study what people would love next, is some sort of way to do the next "hit"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STRK View Post
    proper sound, proper sound design, dynamic range, good arrangement, good idea, "high volume" ( in the end )

maybe learn music for 10 years everyday aswell
    That's how to make good music, not hit music. To some degree it's true though, it has to be listenable and if you want specifically a radio hit rather than an internet meme you would need it to be pretty immaculate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri Shostakovich
    A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.

Thanks
    Depending on the genre of music, I think it varies. I think about what made Rihanna a hit versus Phish... or William Hung. I think real hits come from creating something truly unique to you, in turn writing something original. I wish my response could be less metaphysical haha

Thanks
    Write short catchy phrases for the chorus. Example same damn time by future

Stunna TL Beats

Thanks
    By being honest, transparent, and vulnerable.

Thread Information