How To Count Bars When Writting Raps

painoner said:
...I think you're lying. Bars for a producer are the same thing as bars for an mc- it's not a number of words, lines, or space on a page. Bars are measures, i.e. time. So all you would really have to do is sit your stupid ass mc down and explain to him how manys beats are in a bar and then teach him how to count 16. If you're not lying, join the ****ing club because I for one am pretty damn weary of all these idiot mc's who can't even do their job right and NOT write a 14 bar, 19 bar, 46 bar, 12.5 bar verse and then come to the studio expecting me to tutor them and then ARGUE like the concept of bars is subjective. Rappers don't get the raw end of the deal, believe me. They get the spotlight, the stupid backpacking groupies who think their "sooo deep" and most of the door money after shows. If you don't know how to count bars, you're a lazy mother****er. All you gotta do is listen to a rap song and see how long the rappers verse is after the intro and up until the hook. It's really not that hard. 13 and 3/4 of a bar just makes me think that you're mentally disabled, lazy, stupid, insincere or all 4.

A guy who can't count bars sounds more intelligent then a nerd on a computer insulting over a forum that's objective is helping people.

love_421 said:
A guy who can't count bars sounds more intelligent then a nerd on a computer insulting over a forum that's objective is helping people.

I second that.

The only time I actually bother counting bars is if I'm writing an acapella and having a beat made for it. The other way around, If I'm just spitting over a beat I don't even really look at it as bars. Just feel the beat and kick a flow. There really is no science to making music, as far as lyrics are concerned IMO. When cats count bars it tends to restrict them and/or make their music sound repetitive. I get a better sound writing to the beat without even worrying about that ish. Can I count bars? Yes. Do I think it's always necessary, most definitely not, maybe that comes with experience though.

Tha Sage said:
I second that.

The only time I actually bother counting bars is if I'm writing an acapella and having a beat made for it. The other way around, If I'm just spitting over a beat I don't even really look at it as bars. Just feel the beat and kick a flow. There really is no science to making music, as far as lyrics are concerned IMO. When cats count bars it tends to restrict them and/or make their music sound repetitive. I get a better sound writing to the beat without even worrying about that ish. Can I count bars? Yes. Do I think it's always necessary, most definitely not, maybe that comes with experience though.

what the **** are you posting in a thread from last year for you ass. this discussion ended in 2008 nobody cares about your opinions on what was said.

Go get your whore your post count up somewhere else

painoner said:
...I think you're lying. Bars for a producer are the same thing as bars for an mc- it's not a number of words, lines, or space on a page. Bars are measures, i.e. time. So all you would really have to do is sit your stupid ass mc down and explain to him how manys beats are in a bar and then teach him how to count 16. If you're not lying, join the ****ing club because I for one am pretty damn weary of all these idiot mc's who can't even do their job right and NOT write a 14 bar, 19 bar, 46 bar, 12.5 bar verse and then come to the studio expecting me to tutor them and then ARGUE like the concept of bars is subjective. Rappers don't get the raw end of the deal, believe me. They get the spotlight, the stupid backpacking groupies who think their "sooo deep" and most of the door money after shows. If you don't know how to count bars, you're a lazy mother****er. All you gotta do is listen to a rap song and see how long the rappers verse is after the intro and up until the hook. It's really not that hard. 13 and 3/4 of a bar just makes me think that you're mentally disabled, lazy, stupid, insincere or all 4.

That was a bit harsh.......

simple, if you've got a beat machine, simply put a fill and crash to mark the correct length. Then rap tho that.

I see all of the points.

One thing I'd like to through out there, is beats aren't always on 4-4. Also, if you're writing a 16 line verse and only come up with 14... well let the beat be heard by itself for 2 lines.

--you had me @ hello--lol.....good 1!

OK can someone explain to me what does rapping in double time and triple time means and if I need to write a section in double time or triple time do I have to approach a certain technique as in using two syllable or three syllable words I am so lost ... thanks in advance

double time means at double the speed

so triple time would be triple speed

writing would not be anything special your raps would remain almost the same as they are now, just the music backing them would increase its tempo

Thanks man but what does it mean by music backing it will increase its tempo? If the tempo for the music is e.g 95 BPM how does the tempo change occurs? Please explain I hope you have the patience to explain :)

Can anyone explain to me how the music backing whould increase the tempo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back