Hooks

KingMIG

Pretty much anyone can write a hook, but what gives a hook that great, professional sound? What do those people who write hooks for famous artists do better? Do they know something we dont know?

Am really stuck on this thought cause I want to be the best I can be. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Pretty much anyone can write a hook, but what gives a hook that great, professional sound? What do those people who write hooks for famous artists do better? Do they know something we dont know?

Am really stuck on this thought cause I want to be the best I can be. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

On a sarcastic note: as peter pans nemesis.

On a real note: Id like to figure this out as well. I can write bar after bar for a verse but to make a simple 4 bar chorus sound catchy is the equivalent to me being a crash test dummy.

Last edited:
You need a quotable lyric with a catchy melody. Just come up with some lines and just keep switching up the melody until you find something you like

On a sarcastic note: as peter pans nemesis.

On a real note: Id like to figure this out as well. I can write bar after bar for a verse but to make a simple 4 bar chorus sound catchy is the equivalent to me being a crash test dummy.

Yea thats what Ive been thinkin lately while tryna answer this question. Thanks yo

You need a quotable lyric with a catchy melody. Just come up with some lines and just keep switching up the melody until you find something you like

It has more to do with the delivery of it i think. Songs become catchy on a song by song basis, it's an element you build into it, as you make it. Repetition is key too, dont get stale doe.

repetition & variation is key, or so i heard.

i think a great hook works alongside a great chord progression, without the progression the hook might not have anything to latch on to, vice-verse.

something i read.. "the melody trumps the chord progression"

have a search around for interval dynamics, there's a book (how music really works) that has a section on it.

hope that helps

almost every hook we hear today is related to parties or what you would do at a party, something cheesy such as 'i live for the night' by krewella. its a hard topic tbh but its what seems to be the craze these days

Last edited:
almost every hook we hear today is related to parties or what you would do at a party, something cheesy such as 'i live for the night' by krewella. its a hard topic tbh but its what seems to be the craze these days

See thats what am trying to avoid lol

And yea I figured out melody has a lot to do with it too, repition and all Am experimenting with it now

What kind of hook are you looking for? Try to think in reverse for what you're trying to find out. If you're trying to figure out how to make something memorable for example google memorization techniques. Professional sound comes from professional writing. They know a lot more than we know because they have tried and failed writing good hooks hundreds maybe thousands of times before getting the hang of it. Keep writing.

What kind of hook are you looking for? Try to think in reverse for what you're trying to find out. If you're trying to figure out how to make something memorable for example google memorization techniques. Professional sound comes from professional writing. They know a lot more than we know because they have tried and failed writing good hooks hundreds maybe thousands of times before getting the hang of it. Keep writing.

Yea thats the conclusion I came to: experimentation,trial, and error.

Listen to the Motown writers and any great songwriting team from the 50s and 60s, like Lieber and Stoller and Holland/Dozier/Holland. They wrote thousands of great hooks. Sample if you must, but its better to let that shit percolate in yr head and come up with yr own hooks.

Listen to the Motown writers and any great songwriting team from the 50s and 60s, like Lieber and Stoller and Holland/Dozier/Holland. They wrote thousands of great hooks. Sample if you must, but its better to let that shit percolate in yr head and come up with yr own hooks.
Yea thats exactly what I been thinkin bout lately. A lot of the biggest artists like Kanye and Drake are also influenced by older music

interesting harmonic sounds that the ear isn't used to, theres no guide to hooks, you gotta make something new, or else people have a harder time getting hooked

When coming up with the hook..its really something that cant be taught...in my opinion its just something that your born with..plus the beat has a lot to do with it..a good beat will help you generate a catchy hooky by the flow and melody of the beat..in my opinion..what ive always done..if the hook doesnt come to me quick..than its never going to come..so move on to the next beat...but thats just me and I'm a nobody

feed4feed
{unsigned hype} gHost-"Come with Me" {Prod. By RedHookNoodles} - YouTube

I'm polar opposite. I can write hooks/choruses all day. I struggle with content/verses

Back