hip hop writing process??

I'm surprised no one else has replied to this. I'll explain briefly my techniques in-case you don't see this message - strangely, some people don't go back to their posts after a couple weeks.
While I'm gaming, I'll go to YouTube, play some instrumentals and randomly come up with a hook. I practically always start with the hook/chorus.
I also sometimes just go look for beats and put them in a special playlist. So I'll go on youtube in my list of who I'm subbed to and see new beats. Listen, If I like, I'll come with the theme and hook.
After the chorus, I freestyle the beat. Usually on the first freestyle, I come up with a concept and some nice bars which sounds good, and I'll use that. I find it easier to freestyle first than write straight off the top. Once I've freestyled the verses, I will make corrections, improve bars and change certain things.
For inspiration; I actually don't really know. I listen to music literally all day. There's never 10 minutes where I'm not listening to any type of music. I hear others and think "Damn, I wanna make others like my music the way I like this person's".
I hardly ever say to my self "Right, I'm going to sit down and write a song." I usually just come up with the hook, find a beat if I don't have one already, and write more of the songs.
I've fallen into a nasty habit of not finishing songs before starting another. I sometimes can't think of verses, and instead write loads of hooks for different songs.
I personally find hooks very very easy to write, yet find verses quite difficult. Doesn't always apply.
I hope that helps you.

I usually make my own beats so after I'm done creating my beat I ordinarily have a general idea of what I want to write about. After the beats done I loop it and just start to write sometimes I write my hook first which helps me narrow the subject of the song down a little more.

It depends on the song. I try to approach everything differently at least in some respects. But ultimately it depends on which part of the beat I like the most and which one I'm gonna follow the most.

The way I go about it is fairly simple. I jot down my rhyming syllables. For example, I would write 'Hot date', 'Not Fake', 'Stop, wait'. Those are just some petty examples. The syllables are up to the artist and the strength of the lyricism. You should have a general idea of the song structure before you do anything, though. Do you want to write a story telling song? Are you trying to show lyrical complexity? Are you sing-rapping? Figure these basic things out in your head. After you've got a general idea, a beat chosen, and your rhymes are written down, just connect the dots.

Now i'm not an "Writer" technically, but i am a songwriter as far as making beats are concerned.. None the less.. My process is pretty simple. I find out what keeps me inspired and stay inspired, whether it's listening to new music from different genres and incorporating a style into a beat or creating a melody from my mind and extracting that idea until it makes sense with the keys. Writing is very similar.. Paint a picture in your mind as an canvas and really attempt to see the bigger picture. I've always coined the quote.. "Begin with the end in mind" It works almost every time.. TRUST ME!!

Back