Help Please - Methods for Improving Lyrically

binary_10essee

Alright, I've been producing music for a few years now. 4 1/2 years I believe. I've always been interested in rappin' but I have never taken the time to work on that aspect. That is, until now.

I used to rap a bit here and there on my own beats. I did it mostly just to speak my mind when I had no other way that got the job done right. Now I would like to work on myself as an artist. I don't necessarily want to make it in the game as a rapper but I would like to get to the point where other rappers, who try to make it big, can work with me. I don't wanna try to get on a track with a serious rapper and sound like hell. LoL.

What techniques/methods can be used to improve lyrically? I understand word play, rhymes, multi-rhymes and so on. I feel like I need to work on flow and delivery.

Also, how do you come up with topics? Do you usually need to take a few minutes to get a good subject and then start writing? Do you usually always know what to write about?

I haven't had a hard life at all. I never ran the streets, I never sold drugs, I didn't have a broken home. I don't do drugs or and rarely do I drink, though I'll have a few drinks if I go to a club with some friends. I do, however, have a huge "fan base" of haters, haha. People are so envious because I work hard and live life for myself and my family. But I don't wanna constantly talk about haters.

Maybe I wasn't meant to be a rapper in any way. I can accept that if it's true. But maybe I simply have yet to unlock and release the inner artist. I must say, I have improved greatly from where I used to be. But I still can't listen to something I wrote/recorded and get as into it as I feel I should.

Advice anyone?

Uhm, I have only been rapping a couple of months, but when I freestyle/write, I let my mind do whatever it wants, I write whatever comes down, or say it.. If it's crap, I scrap it, and come up with a line to either cancel it out i.e. 'Your so fake, you need to stop talking about guns, pratice a bit, and start using puns' A bad example. But you know what I mean? Or if your writing, cut the lines out you dislike, or improve them. Best I can say, is just don't give up. If you don't have anything to write about at present, think about the future, or the past, and link stories together, or so be it, write about your friends, OR ANYTHING. Your cup of coffee will do. As long as it's getting you to improve, right!?

Right, I understand completely. It makes sense 100%. I don't plan on giving up but rather just giving it time to come to me. I constantly think of new things. The majority of the time, since I work full-time 40-hour weeks, I think of a few lines here and there while I'm at work. If I like 'em, I'll keep 'em, otherwise they get scrapped or I try to improve them.

So can you provide an example as to what you would rap about if you were currently "blocked"? Like, a few lines about whatever? That could give me a start. :P

Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem, well if your busy a lot, then write up drafts as text messages on your cell phone, like I do, or record into anything possible, so you can recaptcher the flow/delivery or lyrics. Uhm, I usually give myself two days just to concentrate on say, work. And then I comeback to writing and I found that when I struggled to write, once I took a break, the lyrics I came up with afterwards were probably the best I have written. If I were blocked, I would try and rest my mind, and just think about anything in my room.

The lyrics can be anything, just think of something in your room now, and write 4 lines, in about 20 seconds. Thats what I do. It doesn't have to be good.

It can be 'I just had beans on toast, now I'm going to drive out to the coast', see what I mean? It doesn't have to make sense, as long as your improving and practising!

Ok mate, I have to stress, that you should try different things out, if people reply with different ways of dealing with writers block, then try them out too. Some work better than others. It all depends on that person. Good luck :).

kk...i decided to write an essay..hehe..i hope you can find something useful in the madness :D

i suppose it depends on what kind of writer you want to be. (gonna bullet this to make it easier to read)

-I think the two main titles i'd use for each end of the spectrum would be 'Literal/to the point/etc' to 'poetic/abstract/etc'

-i believe that deciding on which side you choose to lean towards, it'll definitely effect what the direction of your message takes (preachy/open to interpretation, Easily interpreted/Side stepping around the message, etc/etc.)

-one simply stimulates ones mind/imagination/creativity (poetic), as the other is your more base of knowledge/beliefs/human psychology (are you good with people in every day social situations? are you the type to lead people?) although this part i feel is really debatable, i'm just throwing it out there.

I feel were most successful writers will stay is right in the middle at perfect balance. There people who acknowledge both sides and take there favorite aspects of each to develop there own unique style. As you want to have impressive forms of imagery, word play, syllable structures, etc. you want them to take some sort of direction and say something.

say you have a painting/picture in the works and you want it to say something. To me (this is opinion) the more simple lyrics in music are simply that. it's like someone drawing a simple equation like say....Garbage=Pollution (think a diagram that'd be drawn on the chalk board for a kindergarten class).. it doesn't really stimulate any part of your brain, and it's not very interesting. but at the same time a bunch of meshing colours and squiggly lines (think abstract art....kk i'm not prejudice against it just an example) is going to completely lose people.

this is were you start to see it come together in the middle people are drawing pictures of objects....maybe a picture of garbage stacking to the clouds above with some polluted rain falling from there.(this would still be leaning away to the simple end of the spectrum but it's still there...i believe this is were most tend to write, nothing wrong with it! it's there expression)

as someone else might draw a picture of a group of survivors in.....some cave overeating there rations, not rationalizing the time they'll be waiting for rescue.
The situation is different but they can both can be interpreted in the sense that: there bargaining the security of there futures with todays comfort:

- someone satisfying there hunger,
-and a society of people too lazy to use city recycling and just throwing there recyclable goods in the garbage to conserve there 'energy'

people in our society don't know how much longer it'll take for the scientific folk to develop a system in which our waste of resource congregation of citizens will actually find recycling materials 'convenient' enough, and turn the whole pollution thing around. The same as the unlucky cave spelunker doesn't know how long it'll take for rescue to come in and swoop him out of his starvation. You now have 2 comparable scenario's which you can weave into context with each other for a song concept...that is if i wrote this whole paragraph correctly..LOL!

Last edited:
So you want to improve lyrically & flow wise.

Buy a mini dictionary you can whip out during work and read through it don't stress yourself trying too much in one day instead set a number of words to learn everyday and you`ll improve quickly.

To improve your speed,delivery flow etc.
What helped me out the most was to simply rap-a-long with my favorite`s.Don`t rap-a-long to soulja boy because you will fail like him instead choose some moderate to high skilled rappers and listen closely to their rhymes and heck even google their lyrics and make sure you nail those multi-syllables that way you get used to them.

Another technique is to simply try to write ATLEAST 1 verse everyday and like many great things,The path to getting good is practice so try to freestyle when you can and make sure your minds at work.

Reading also helps you improve a lot aswell.

Hope i helped =)

If you want to improve flow and delivery, freestyle!!! it helps you with rhythm and timing. Study the best technical emcees i.e (Elzhi,Pharoahe Monch,Crooked I,Royce The 5'9,Percee P,One Be Lo, & E-Rule to name a few.) Freestyle whenever you can in the shower in your car anyplace!!!

If you want to improve flow and delivery, freestyle!!! it helps you with rhythm and timing. Study the best technical emcees i.e (Elzhi,Pharoahe Monch,Crooked I,Royce The 5'9,Percee P,One Be Lo, & E-Rule to name a few.) Freestyle whenever you can in the shower in your car anyplace!!!

I feel you on this one, for sure. I've actually been freestyling for a few weeks now because I was aware that it can help me as an artist. I've actually improved a bit but I understand it takes tons of practice and patience, things I have when attempting it. Thanks.

Musikal1:

Yes, that definitely helped. I don't know why I never considered picking up a mini dictionary and learning new words every day. I have plenty of time throughout the day (whether I'm at work or at home) to read a bit of it and learn new words.

I feel you on the Soulja Boy comment. :P I can't stand his music. I have always rapped along with people like Biggie, Pac, Eazy E, Bone Thugs (where possible, haha), and the like. That's where I get my inspiration from. I listen to a select few modern artists. So I'm good to go there.

I don't feel like my speed is a problem. I can keep up with a good amount of Bone Thugs' music as well as Twista and a couple others. And when I write verses while listening to a beat I try to pick a beat in the 84-93 BPM range. I have no trouble rapping clearly in that area. With the slower music I just CANNOT feel it enough to rap that slow. :P

I prefer the more energetic, more in-your-face energy. It's funny though, seeing as how I'm a very quiet and laid back kinda guy. :-D

Thanks everyone else for your help. Keep the suggestions comin' if you have any. Good lookin' out, FP.

Hey! here are my two cents, i've been rapping for a few months now kind of 24/7 :D so here you go, everything that i've learned

- Lyrics: Most people ponder too much over 'em. While its the easiest task to get done on a track (whether the song is deep and serious, or is just for the sake of puttin' words together). Yet, don't neglect it.

During the day i observe, and write down on my rhymebook everything that caught up my senses. Whether it's a cool word/idiom found in newspapers/books/movies/dictionnary(i spent a lot o' time on thefreedictionary.com :D), or something that happened around me, or just something that i came up with while freestylin and cracking myself up.

Your rhymebook will full itself up really quick if you do that 24/7. And WRITE EVERYTHING, AT ALL TIMES. I often come up with something good while i'm on the verge of dozing off (messes my biological clock ^^)

When you have a few hours when you're not busy working (in your case, most evenings i suppose)

-Sit down with a cool beat you've done or borrowed or bought. And start workin on the flow, and how you wanna deliver your crazy lyrics. You'll definately come up with new lyrics too, polish your previous lyrics and adapt everyone of 'em to the beat.

Hit the snare drum (its your guide) with your lyrics and especially rhymes. Its the cornerstone of your track, if you fail here the track's gon' be wack (experimented that last thursday ^^)
Make sure your stuff is solid, and you don't squeeze words together: If don't flows flawlessly, rearrange what you wanna say by altering words.

Avoid the ignorant boring rhymes (college/knowledge, *****/rich, horny/shorty, Dick/Stick), and use multisyllabic rhymes at all times.

Pause sometimes. You wouldn't want to just toss rhymes in the face of the listener.

-Recording. The funniest, but most difficult element of the creating process :D. Take a few singing/acting lessons if you need some. To learn how to breathe, and incorporate power in your voice without damaging your vocal cords.

To help your delivery, other advices are good. Sing along rappers such as Crooked I, BTH, Em, Big Pun... when you're driving or walking or jogging or cooking. Make sure to be able to keep up a good flow, while rapping loudly, and adding expressivity to your texts.

Speed's not difficult to master. But switching up flow rapidly is hard. Listen to No Love, and Untitled from Eminem's Recovery. Learn that shit by heart, and be able to spit it out even better than he does ^^

Bottom line, while recording, be a freaking actor... and make sure to have fun ;)

Good luck fellow MC!

Last edited:
Hey! here are my two cents, i've been rapping for a few months now kind of 24/7 :D so here you go, everything that i've learned

- Lyrics: Most people ponder too much over 'em. While its the easiest task to get done on a track (whether the song is deep and serious, or is just for the sake of puttin' words together). Yet, don't neglect it.

During the day i observe, and write down on my rhymebook everything that caught up my senses. Whether it's a cool word/idiom found in newspapers/books/movies/dictionnary(i spent a lot o' time on thefreedictionary.com :D), or something that happened around me, or just something that i came up with while freestylin and cracking myself up.

Your rhymebook will full itself up really quick if you do that 24/7. And WRITE EVERYTHING, AT ALL TIMES. I often come up with something good while i'm on the verge of dozing off (messes my biological clock ^^)

When you have a few hours when you're not busy working (in your case, most evenings i suppose)

-Sit down with a cool beat you've done or borrowed or bought. And start workin on the flow, and how you wanna deliver your crazy lyrics. You'll definately come up with new lyrics too, polish your previous lyrics and adapt everyone of 'em to the beat.

Hit the snare drum (its your guide) with your lyrics and especially rhymes. Its the cornerstone of your track, if you fail here the track's gon' be wack (experimented that last thursday ^^)
Make sure your stuff is solid, and you don't squeeze words together: If don't flows flawlessly, rearrange what you wanna say by altering words.

Avoid the ignorant boring rhymes (college/knowledge, *****/rich, horny/shorty, Dick/Stick), and use multisyllabic rhymes at all times.

Pause sometimes. You wouldn't want to just toss rhymes in the face of the listener.

-Recording. The funniest, but most difficult element of the creating process :D. Take a few singing/acting lessons if you need some. To learn how to breathe, and incorporate power in your voice without damaging your vocal cords.

To help your delivery, other advices are good. Sing along rappers such as Crooked I, BTH, Em, Big Pun... when you're driving or walking or jogging or cooking. Make sure to be able to keep up a good flow, while rapping loudly, and adding expressivity to your texts.

Speed's not difficult to master. But switching up flow rapidly is hard. Listen to No Love, and Untitled from Eminem's Recovery. Learn that shit by heart, and be able to spit it out even better than he does ^^

Bottom line, while recording, be a freaking actor... and make sure to have fun ;)

Good luck fellow MC!

Most usefull advice ive heard here in a while.
I agree with the writing down thoughts and sights etc. advice aswell because you can revise it later and re-arange the words and come up with some dopness so thas a plus.

@ Binary
Your off to a good start then just keep at it and watch how youll improve.
Dont force yourself to write too much or to write verses try to do it enough to make you want to do it again always switch between freestyling and writing and remember that even reading a book can help you out.

Goodluck!

b.t.w lots of usefull info being posted here good looks

@Musikal1:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It does get frustrating when you want to do it but you can't. It's happening quite a bit. However, I expect that, as I am just really starting to become entirely serious with writing and the like. I thought of a few decent pieces while at work today and wrote 'em down. I'll go back to 'em later tonight and see what I can do.

Thanks.

dealing with mental block

usually if i get stuck writing stuff/typing it out (i find that typing lyrics on the computer gets my ideas down faster) i just get up and go do something; totally forget about what i was writing/feeling. i just push it from my mind. i come back to it maybe an hour or two later and it feels like im starting fresh with all the enthusiasm and stuff, but then ive already written words so i just add to them.

its a good process that works well for me.

there's heaps of ways around it, that's just mine lol

dealing with mental block

usually if i get stuck writing stuff/typing it out (i find that typing lyrics on the computer gets my ideas down faster) i just get up and go do something; totally forget about what i was writing/feeling. i just push it from my mind. i come back to it maybe an hour or two later and it feels like im starting fresh with all the enthusiasm and stuff, but then ive already written words so i just add to them.

its a good process that works well for me.

there's heaps of ways around it, that's just mine lol

LoL, yeah, I know what you mean. That's what I started doing today. I'm just going to break from it for a bit, forget about it and go back a little later this evening.

I too find that typing lyrics is much easier. If I just randomly think of 2 or 4 bars or something, and I'm unable to type it out (e.g. at work), I just write it down. Then if I can expand it I'll type it all out.

I typically record by reading the words from a monitor as well. I have a dual monitor setup so it's easy to separate the lyrics in Notepad or Word or whatever from the DAW I decide to use, which has been Cubase as of late since I'm using downloaded instrumentals for practice.

just another quick little note that i may add: to get good at both your lyrics AND your delivery, i think it helps to keep in good shape. what i mean is to keep fit with like jogging running and stuff. its weird, but when you keep yourself in shape you have more "gas in the tank"....

i was in great shape around a year and a half ago and when id rap a verse i could link my lines together without losing breath, and coming up with lyrics was a BREEZE. its not really the same at the moment lol.

but yeah i believe that keeping in shape is key to a good performance on your tracks, but that's just me lol.

dual monitors - nice.

I'm sure it is better to be in shape. But I think part of the problem at this particular time may be stress in everyday life. Too much going on right now. I can't really fix what's wrong but I can ride it out. Maybe in the end it will inspire some rhymes. :P

If i haven't got the best voice, will people laugh at my rhymes? Seriously, I don't know. But surely not everyone is born great, surely you can practice to improve right. What makes a rapper great? What makes them big?

yea wat exclusivo said...i dont think about it too much but when something good comes to me i write down a few lyrics and save as a draft in my phone. i find it easier for me to think of rhymes when i just randomly walkin around in the world and something comes to me.. its much harder for me to actually sit and write out lyrics unless i got something from earlier to go off of.

Back