Help me make a hit

elvissango

So I want to make an rnb beat for a lady singer from scratch,i am wishing to first write an emotional song first,make a beat on it and give it to her..how do i write a really good love emotional song with good chord progressions.?

Hey Elvissango!

That's one big question you got there and not an easy one to answer. There is just so much that goes into it.

There are 3 things you should look out for when writing this song:
1) Melody. This will give you a basic understanding of the different kinds of melodies: 3 Types Of Melodies You Must Know – Holistic Songwriting (Official Blog)
2) Lyrics. I wrote an article on Holistic Songwriting about how to write lyrics to a love song, you can find it here: 5 Tips On How To Write The Perfect Lyrics To A Love Song – Holistic Songwriting (Official Blog)
3) Lyric-Less Storytelling. Make sure your song builds and stays interesting. This one is a little more complicated (I wrote a whole book about it), but you can learn more about it here.

Another music theory question, but the answer is more music theory.
Learning basic music theory above the already obtained knowledge through beatmaking.

Learning scales
learning chord formulas
learning sheet is optional since piano roll is actually sheet also.
Chord progressions is chord progressions looking for note that sounds good.

Thanks guys,checked your site @ Holisticsongwriting,its perfect and it's so simple and straight forwad,will grab lots of tips there ,keep it up..thanx at Konkosskang it's I find it difficult to learn music theory coz i think will only be able learn to it when I can pay for it myself but because i love music i downloaded a pdf music theory book and read about the staves etc but won't use that yet coz i produce music on a laptop/computer,which topics should i read first to improve considering the above?

Hi elvissango,

In my personal opinion: I think you should just start writing a lot of music before you even look into music theory.
Music theory is a tricky beast because it can push you into a box if you're not careful. My advice is to develop an
ear for music first - listen to your favorite songs and see what they do. Once you've written 50 songs, THEN it may
make sense to look into music theory.

I know plenty of songwriters who don't use music theory at all, and some have done very well commercially. There
is no correlation between theory and good songwriting, there is only a correlation between good HEARING and good writing
(btw, if you want to write classical music, I DO recommend getting started with music theory right away).

Thanks for the comments on my blog, I appreciate it. :) If you found it helpful, I also again want to recomment my book
which I think might help you to get into the right mindset when writing songs. There's pretty much no music theory required
(there is 1 short chapter where you need to know what intervals and basic chord symbols are) and it explains how to
write commercial songs so anyone can understand it. You can find it here: The Addiction Formula: A Holistic Approach to Writing Captivating, Memorable Hit Songs. With 317 Proven Commercial Techniques & 331 Examples, incl ... "All Of Me" (Holistic Songwriting) (Volume 1): Friedemann Findeisen: 9789082391305: Amazon.com: Boo

Don't mean to spam you, but it seems it would be a good fit ;) It's definitely what I would have wanted to read when I
was a beginner :)

thanks a lot fr th indepth answers an th reference t your book,i knw t will b very useful to me,am using all the tips i received definitely

Back