Getting better at writing in general?

nervecell

This summer i spent a lot of time practicing writing rhymes and just rhymes and lyrics. I haven't been practicing writing real sentences and paragraphs at all but now im in university and i found that my essay writing skills have increased greatly. I don't know if this is concidence but i think that writing lyrics and practicing has helped me with my writing skills in general as well as being able to express myself better through words.

what do you think

I agree... I wrote and freestyled for 5 years before heading back to school... in my english101 class my teacher liked my paper so much she said she would remember it for a long time

and it the same time. I think learning to write in true english will improve your music... Because by taking a class you will learn how to structure your thoughts and ideas better as well as how to brainstorm.

Most definitely, writing in various forms help improve your creative stlye and adds another dynamic of substance to your lyrics. I'm just starting to get back on my writing and taking writing intensive literature and philosophy courses have greatly improved my writing. Can't wait to schedule some time to really focus on the lyrical content in the musical context and really express myself through the music. What do ya'll think helps you get past writers block?

Most definitely, writing in various forms help improve your creative stlye and adds another dynamic of substance to your lyrics. I'm just starting to get back on my writing and taking writing intensive literature and philosophy courses have greatly improved my writing. Can't wait to schedule some time to really focus on the lyrical content in the musical context and really express myself through the music. What do ya'll think helps you get past writers block?

Simple, time. Give your music a break. Listen to many beats after say a week... Ones you like, and you'll start coming up with some crazy ideas(in a good way!)

In terms of the thread, I am sure it's a good idea, even though I haven't done it, as I have been doing English up untill now since I was 4 so... I can't say. I've noticed a decline in my punctuation and spelling... :(

I took a semester off after high school and did not take English during the one after. Although when I did drop back into English classes I found it a lot easier to get my ideas into writing and it sounded more like how I talked rather than the garbage I use to write in high school.

P.S. I left high school with a C in my last english class and got an B+ in my ENG101. So far my midterm grade for ENG102 this semester is an A- so the improvement is there.

thats awesome. Im sure that helped out tons with your school. I know for me, i learned new ways of explaining things on essays from writing lyrics. You can also learn new lyrics. Its always good to get out of that original type of essay writing most people get into

Back