Finding Music For Songs On Youtube

bloopaloop

I'm trying to learn song writing, so I've been reading about different exercises.
One is to write a song every day. Don't have to be great, since they're just practice songs, just as good as I can do with the time I have to write them.
I need to find music to write the songs to. I looked on youtube, but I really don't know what to type in the search box. I tried to search for the music I wanted, but the search just brings up completed songs. I guess I could use the music from a completed song just for practice, but I don't want to if I can help it.
Anyway, has anyone else done this, and if so, how/where did you find the music? I'm not going to use it for anything other than practice, unless it turns out well in which case I'd buy the music; so it doesn't need to be free. Are there certain keywords I should type into my youtube search?

Thanks.

idk about searching on youtube...

but, if you want to practice making up melodies, find the key to a song you like and experiment with made up melodies using notes from the key the songs is in. That's a fun to practice melody improvisation.

If a song is written in D major, make up melodies using the notes in D major as you listen to the song. It's actually pretty fun and helpful.

Last edited:
idk about searching on youtube...

but, if you want to practice making up melodies, find the key to a song you like and experiment with made up melodies using notes from the key the songs is in. That's a fun to practice melody improvisation.

If a song is written in D major, make up melodies using the notes in D major as you listen to the song. It's actually pretty fun and helpful.

Thanks for the advice.
Where should I search instead of youtube?

youtube is okay, but anywhere music is. You just have to know what key the song is written in.

Last edited:
Back