Finding Inspiration

Y

youngdeuce954

Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble finding inspiration lyrically. I can make beats all day, they kind of just flow because of my work pattern. But when it comes to writing a song, I feel like there's too much structure. But I can't seem to find the inspiration that allows my words to just flow from an emotional place like they used to. Any ideas on how to spark it up again?

Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble finding inspiration lyrically. I can make beats all day, they kind of just flow because of my work pattern. But when it comes to writing a song, I feel like there's too much structure. But I can't seem to find the inspiration that allows my words to just flow from an emotional place like they used to. Any ideas on how to spark it up again?

Try writing free form... don't worry about the constraints of the piece you're writing to, just let your ideas flow. Later, you can take the lyrics and make them fit to the beat, but you'll still have that unbridled passion that you get when you write without any concern for timing and structure.

As far as inspiration, I find that life is always the best inspiration. Look around you, find what you care about, what you're passionate about, and write about those things. Those lyrics will always be the truest, because they will represent who you are.

And don't force it... if it doesn't come naturally, it isn't time yet.

-E.

The best way to explain it in my opinion is to bridge the gap between being creative and having fun with it... Einstein said it best: "Creativity is intelligence having fun" If you look at it as always being a fun learning process instead of "flowing from an emotional place like the words use to" then you'll always become intrigued and inspired by the simplicity of life

Write about what you know, but if you have to write about a certain topic, write about it from your perspective

Some great advice above (^^^^). I pretty much agree with everything in this thread, but I'd offer a different perspective on this: >>>>And don't force it... if it doesn't come naturally, it isn't time yet.<<<<

I used to teach songwriters' workshops, and as a coach I would advocate for the opposite; not "forcing it," exactly, but having regular writing sessions and a schedule like you would for working out or going to the office or anything else. The more you do it, the better you will get. It is like a muscle that has to be exercised.
There are lots of different techniques to use as writing starters or to get past writer's block, but the gist is to work at it regularly, and you will be growing your "writing muscles" while at the same time training yourself to write on-demand, and you never know when that skill will come in handy by being ready for the right opportunity.

Hey man, i don't write songs or anything but when i'm making beats i always take breaks, i feel like its always clears my mind a bit. Take a walk '' ... took a walk through the park and saw you standing.....'' or go do something else and come back to the song later, maybe check out some music you normally won't listen to, might spark some fresh ideas. Other than that idk maybe a word spider for topics, anyway Good luck with your song :)

Inspiration is missing if you're stuck at home every day trying to come up with lyrics. Human brain needs activation by nature, exercise and new things in order to generate good, new lyrics. This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Hey man, i don't write songs or anything but when i'm making beats i always take breaks, i feel like its always clears my mind a bit. Take a walk '' ... took a walk through the park and saw you standing.....'' or go do something else and come back to the song later, maybe check out some music you normally won't listen to, might spark some fresh ideas. Other than that idk maybe a word spider for topics, anyway Good luck with your song :)
i totally agree with this! dont over work yourself. its ok to take breaks! have fun with it and maybe try writing melodies instead of lyrics over your beats. then if the idea or melody is intriguing enough to you, that will spark the tiny bit of inspiration you need to expand on your ideas. good luck!

I think it's good to do a 2 step process:

1. just write what you feel about a subject. don't worry about grammar, punctuation, rhyming. just let it all out, like a journal.

2. take all that raw information and start writing it in a structured way. this time, start looking for different ways to say it in a more interesting way. apply different songwriting techniques like rhyme schemes, lyrical devices, etc.

Just my 2 cents

Also, sometimes people try too hard to write from their own experiences and perspective. A good way to unleash the writer is to write from anyone's perspective. Even better if it's someone who's very different from you because it pushes you to think outside the box.

A good way is to watch TV, pick a character and write from his/her perspective regarding something that he/she is going through in that moment.

Anyway...

Last edited:
I personally take some time "off" when this happens to me. Taking a break from your work gives you time to focus on the everyday things that may inspire you. Writing small lines down for review later during this time allows you to come back into it with more vigour and a fresh plate.

So interesting how many different perspectives you'll get from writers on their process.

For me finding inspiration definitely comes from being very honest about what I'm going through if I'm writing for myself. I find if I try to write a song and not tell the story as authentically as possible, then it doesn't work for me, I lose my ability to write more than a verse or so. But if I just look in the mirror and say okay...let's just open up on this track I can write the whole song very quickly and connect on a much deeper level I find.

That's why it's so interesting to see what others have said because for me, writing for myself I don't actually find fun, because I'm forcing myself to be super honest and open about things I try to hide from and avoid addressing within myself and with other people, which can be quite taxing. However, I do find it extremely satisfying once done because I actually learn even more about myself as a person and learn more about how I truly feel/felt about whatever situation I was writing about by going through that whole process. That satisfaction for me lasts a long, long time.

That said, writing from someone else's perspective I actually do find quite fun, and I do find that to be a great alternative method to finding inspiration because you have to deliver a message from your own interpretation whilst not losing sight or meaning of the original story, which is in fact someone else's to begin with. Challenging in it's own respect but a great way to access different parts of your creative mind when writing.

Finally I also agree with easing up on structure a bit but not too too much. I say disregard obsessing about the little things such as having to have perfect rhymes in a literal sense when writing line by line, and I agree with others who have said try not to think too too hard about how a line might fit into a song from a syllable perspective, just write the line out...and then play with the flow before you move onto the next line, set of lines, or even after the whole song is done...my opinion is doing this actually will often make a song turn out better because you won't stay on the same flow too long, which could get stale to a listener - you'll be forced to switch up the flow because you want to say something as you intended to say it and in order to do that you had to find a creative way to make it all fit.

My $0.02.

Last edited:
Hi,

Notice how you said, "I can make beats all day, they kind of flow..."

Why do you think that is...?

Hopefully, this reply will enlighten you a little.

Music is a form of expression. Remember that while you are creating.
You are simply expressing whatever is inside of you...

It's easier for you to make beats because the creative energy is flowing through you.

There isn't much effort.

You just sit down, and it flows through you.

However, when you try to write lyrics, there isn't much flow.

Instead, you have to force it. Then you don't get the results you are looking for.

In this case, inspiration won't help.

Inspiration is for long-term goals/visions/dreams.

When you are inspired to do something, you go!

You just need to figure out how to let that creative energy flow through you.

Right now, the energy flows when it chooses.

Hope this helps,
Devin

Last edited:
ID agree with the guy saying write free form and then mold the ideas to the beat. My friend when hes writing just writes down some ideas to talk about and just goes in the booth and spits until the idea becomes complete

i totally agree with this! dont over work yourself. its ok to take breaks! have fun with it and maybe try writing melodies instead of lyrics over your beats. then if the idea or melody is intriguing enough to you, that will spark the tiny bit of inspiration you need to expand on your ideas. good luck!

yeah same, also u can try to write when u listen something new or some characters u like in a notepad and use it when u want write

Perhaps just write... write when you're happy, write whhen you're angry, write when you're fucked up, embrace your emotions, it's alright to feel. In turn you begin to associate emotions with scales and notes and how they change shape or form, musical emotion...
Express yourself through your writing AND music and find you're balance...
Writing is considered a way of expressing emotion as well. Grammar, punctuation, pauses, cut offs, and even prepositions make a big difference in how lyrics are sung/rapped/talked.

Back