Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Inspiration

Thanks

Finding Inspiration

Sign in to disable this ad
    Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble finding inspiration lyrically. I can make beats all day, they kind of just flow because of my work pattern. But when it comes to writing a song, I feel like there's too much structure. But I can't seem to find the inspiration that allows my words to just flow from an emotional place like they used to. Any ideas on how to spark it up again?
    [CENTER]. . [URL="http://www.twitter.com/lexluthorbeats"]@ l e x l u t h o r b e a t s [/URL]. .[URL="http://www.lexknows.wordpress.com"] l e x k n o w s [/URL]. .
    [/CENTER]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youngdeuce954 View Post
    Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble finding inspiration lyrically. I can make beats all day, they kind of just flow because of my work pattern. But when it comes to writing a song, I feel like there's too much structure. But I can't seem to find the inspiration that allows my words to just flow from an emotional place like they used to. Any ideas on how to spark it up again?
    Try writing free form... don't worry about the constraints of the piece you're writing to, just let your ideas flow. Later, you can take the lyrics and make them fit to the beat, but you'll still have that unbridled passion that you get when you write without any concern for timing and structure.

As far as inspiration, I find that life is always the best inspiration. Look around you, find what you care about, what you're passionate about, and write about those things. Those lyrics will always be the truest, because they will represent who you are.

And don't force it... if it doesn't come naturally, it isn't time yet.

-E.

Thanks
    The best way to explain it in my opinion is to bridge the gap between being creative and having fun with it... Einstein said it best: "Creativity is intelligence having fun" If you look at it as always being a fun learning process instead of "flowing from an emotional place like the words use to" then you'll always become intrigued and inspired by the simplicity of life

Thanks
    Write about what you know, but if you have to write about a certain topic, write about it from your perspective

Thanks
    Some great advice above (^^^^). I pretty much agree with everything in this thread, but I'd offer a different perspective on this: >>>>And don't force it... if it doesn't come naturally, it isn't time yet.<<<<

I used to teach songwriters' workshops, and as a coach I would advocate for the opposite; not "forcing it," exactly, but having regular writing sessions and a schedule like you would for working out or going to the office or anything else. The more you do it, the better you will get. It is like a muscle that has to be exercised.
    There are lots of different techniques to use as writing starters or to get past writer's block, but the gist is to work at it regularly, and you will be growing your "writing muscles" while at the same time training yourself to write on-demand, and you never know when that skill will come in handy by being ready for the right opportunity.
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Hey man, i don't write songs or anything but when i'm making beats i always take breaks, i feel like its always clears my mind a bit. Take a walk '' ... took a walk through the park and saw you standing.....'' or go do something else and come back to the song later, maybe check out some music you normally won't listen to, might spark some fresh ideas. Other than that idk maybe a word spider for topics, anyway Good luck with your song

Thanks
    Inspiration is missing if you're stuck at home every day trying to come up with lyrics. Human brain needs activation by nature, exercise and new things in order to generate good, new lyrics. This is just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerriff View Post
    Hey man, i don't write songs or anything but when i'm making beats i always take breaks, i feel like its always clears my mind a bit. Take a walk '' ... took a walk through the park and saw you standing.....'' or go do something else and come back to the song later, maybe check out some music you normally won't listen to, might spark some fresh ideas. Other than that idk maybe a word spider for topics, anyway Good luck with your song
    i totally agree with this! dont over work yourself. its ok to take breaks! have fun with it and maybe try writing melodies instead of lyrics over your beats. then if the idea or melody is intriguing enough to you, that will spark the tiny bit of inspiration you need to expand on your ideas. good luck!

Thanks
    I think it's good to do a 2 step process:

1. just write what you feel about a subject. don't worry about grammar, punctuation, rhyming. just let it all out, like a journal.

2. take all that raw information and start writing it in a structured way. this time, start looking for different ways to say it in a more interesting way. apply different songwriting techniques like rhyme schemes, lyrical devices, etc.

Just my 2 cents

Also, sometimes people try too hard to write from their own experiences and perspective. A good way to unleash the writer is to write from anyone's perspective. Even better if it's someone who's very different from you because it pushes you to think outside the box.

A good way is to watch TV, pick a character and write from his/her perspective regarding something that he/she is going through in that moment.

Anyway...
    Last edited by PamJ; 04-01-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    I personally take some time "off" when this happens to me. Taking a break from your work gives you time to focus on the everyday things that may inspire you. Writing small lines down for review later during this time allows you to come back into it with more vigour and a fresh plate.

Thread Information