Female Mc's: In your opinion...

L

~LaydeeSouf~

what are they lacking nowadays? Greetings..its been a long time but I want to know in your opinions what are female artist lacking lyric wise? Where should the focus be for a female mc/writer in order to survive in this buisness of music?

Thankies

I'm not sure it's the content that puts me off most female rappers it's more the voice, a lot of ladies tend to put on a 'rap voice' I prefer something more like Lauryn Hill or Estelle... as long as it flows and it's not too poppy or gangsta I'd listen to it... not sure that's much help!

Bradley said:
I'm not sure it's the content that puts me off most female rappers it's more the voice, a lot of ladies tend to put on a 'rap voice' I prefer something more like Lauryn Hill or Estelle... as long as it flows and it's not too poppy or gangsta I'd listen to it... not sure that's much help!

Okay..I feel you on that. I heard foxxy on that 112 remix and her voice seems "overly" deep for some reason!

I have a mid range speaking voice..not too light..not too heavy...Im really concered with delivery. I feel that my content (lyrics) are on point, but I don't wish to get swept up in the crowd of "normal"
female rappers..

Most of the female rappers rap to fast, imo thats why they sound the same and i dont like the voice either, on the other hand i say Lauryen Hill is prob the best female rapper, aint herd her mc though.

Peace Over and Out

I think a lot of female emcees go wrong when they try to compete with men. They feel that their lyrics have to be as violent or sexually explicit as their male counterparts. What female emcess need to do is focus more on carving their own niche...Missy Elliot has become very successful; not because her lyrics, but her ability to make you dance. She brought back the feeling of hip hop's early days at a time when everybody was trying to gangsta and pimped out.

are you from the UK? if not then download or buy Estelle - '1980' imo this is perfect :)

I would say as long as your not comming out as a slut or a gangsta b!tch then you sholud be fine, unless your are, always be true to your self. As far as delivery im gonna tell you the same thing i say to everyone "the beat sholud dictate the delivery" another words "ride the beat" dont just rap over it. If you can grasp that concept you never go wrong.

Truly what female rappers lack is the ability to deliver the same image as a male rapper.Male rappers are accepted and liked because fo their skill AND image. Its like men are somewhat intimidated by a female rapper, not so much by her lyrics but her courage.Im not a rapper but I can conclude that its harder for a female rapper to be accepted by music fans. A male rapper could be wack and still have thousands of fans versus a female rapper thats is wack but would only have a scarse fan crowd (probably all females that support her because she is a female pursuing a rapping career)......Why that is.......You tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Truly what female rappers lack is the ability to deliver the same image as a male rapper."

you are right about that...that is why female rappers should not try to. instead they should work on carving their own niche.

"Im not a rapper but I can conclude that its harder for a female rapper to be accepted by music fans."

its harder for female rappers because there is such a small number of them that are actually making money from this...when we have a few more women going platinum and getting movie roles and endorsments you'll see things change...think about...non-black rappers had the same issues but now look how the industry is changing

In my opinion they lack skill . . . their rhyme schemes, voices, delivery, punchlines, metaphors, lyircs.

I don't listen to alot of female rappers because they lack alot o thos things.

Theres a freestyle with Big Pun and Remy on Endangered Species (Puns Last Album) and she holds it down just aswell as he does.

In my opinion they have to bring it just as hard and well as men do

Last edited:
UK MCs rule cause their tone is in on another level, yo Bradley and MOBOS I mean DOBOS you heard Faithless Track with Estelle

Over And Out

Last edited:
Remy Martin is the only one that I wont turn off...I dont buy any Female MC's albums because none of them are bringin anything thats pure fire. All they talk about is how good their sex is or they tryin to rap too much like a dude. Everyone gives off too much of a fake feel. Just be yourself and speak your heart and speak whats true to you and thats how you get some real fans

"All they talk about is how good their sex is"

The same can be said of male rappers, but I guess guys would rather listen to other guys talk about how much sex they get, but when a chick talks about it it's a problem.
There are very few rappers male or female that actually spit some real life ****, not just a bunch of pimpin' nonsense.

"their rhyme schemes, voices, delivery, punchlines, metaphors, lyircs."

You seem to be judging females in the same category and criteria as males...there are clearly chicks that have skills but since their voices aren't deep, and mad angry sounding so they get dissed. Most male rappers use male bravado in their lyrics to express how much of a P.I.M.P., or killer they are, which is really not something to aspire to IMO.

I see rapping like poetry, if you kick something from the heart, it doesn't matter who else likes it.

Now if ur talking about record sales, as a female mc ur basically screwed, if u go the "i'm sexy look at me, Lil Kim route" the chicks will hate, except the ones who are actually like that and the guys will hollar for a minute but don't expect any long term $. If u attempt to be like the guys, deep voice, thug, you'll get dissed for not being real. Basically to make it as a female mc you basically have to sound like a dope male mc.

Last edited:
BalancedScience said:
UK MCs rule cause their tone is in on another level, yo Bradley and MOBOS I mean DOBOS you heard Faithless Track with Estelle

Over And Out

'Mobos'....... wtf???

Back