Emotionaly ****ing myself up for the sake of art

AM90

Is ****ing with your emotions for the sake of art worth it?

I wrote a song about a woman im in love with about 2 years ago. The feelings have receded because we never became more than friends but today as i was re recording the song i couldn't get myself to record a keepable take. So i went on her instagram. Her smile always gave me this ***** ass nigga feeling in my chest. As I looked upon her face I recorded again the verses came out more sincere. It worked but since than iv felt a ****ed up empty feeling in my chest. Is it worth ****ing with my own emotion for the sake of music?

What do you mean is it worth it? Its essential to a good recording. If you created a song a song based on a certain feeling why you you wanna record it any other way than sounding as if you would with that feeling? Unless you wanted a dry, boring, loop masters quality vocal. You need emotion in it.

so ya, worth it and necessary.

Last edited:
What do you mean is it worth it? Its essential to a good recording. If you created a song a song based on a certain feeling why you you wanna record it any other way than sounding as if you would with that feeling? Unless you wanted a dry, boring, loop masters quality vocal. You need emotion in it.

so ya, worth it and necessary.

Truuuue good looks I was feeling dark af but its true. In order to evoke emotion you must be emotional.

Yeah, I oftentimes take some time before recording sessions (or even between recording different songs) to get myself in the emotional state that I'm going to be conveying in the song. It's a really good habit, I think.

Emotion is something that transcends from one's soul to their music. To have people really understand how you truly are feeling during the song you want to get into that emotional state and record that.

not only that but you can use it as an outlet to vent on how you feel, you might actually feel better afterwards getting all that off your chest. but the song will definitely be better when there is an emotion behind it. just dont feel weird about worrying if your going to sound weird, just let it out

Artist are supposed to write from emotion.. It's an experience in which to reach,teach,or preach to others the volume in which it displays.

Ha. It crazy how it works. I seen a really cute girl at a store and it gave me inspiration for one. So sometimes it is random.

Her smile always gave me this ***** ass nigga feeling in my chest.

OMG!! Quote of the year!!

but on topic: I'd say having some sort of emotion is essential for any vocals, though if the subject doesn't trigger you much I'd say it's probably a good indicator that you have to reach in DEEP, get something more substantial out, face those demons, get better for it.

Though as you said getting emotional looking at chickie's pics is a sign that you have some sort of attachment to her so theirs that to consider.

It's not really as much as your ****ing yourself up but you already are ****ed up and are using music to cope with it, as a bridge for connecting with the rest of the gang, etc.

Back