The curse of focusing on syllable count

CG Kid

For a long time now, the focus has been speed and syllable count. I've grown out of this phase and have discovered I like typically a slower flow with more emphasis on the line leading up to the rhymes then how many internal rhymes I can fit. More into story telling and the message, and I enjoy the slower flow with a few speed build ups.

Anyways, my mind is trapped in the past ways lol. I find it really challenging to think of good lines even though I can think up a lot of rhymes. This also makes it hard to write about alien concepts, for instance, it'd be really hard to write a rap about going out for breakfast at a donut shop.

I'm a man of practice. I like repeating a certain regimen a few hours a day, very much so a kinesthetic learner. What advice for practice do you have? I've already noticed kinda rapping in my head throughout the day helps. What can I add to this?

Thank you!

I would go ahead and listen to rappers who rap in a style completely different than your own. Hearing things in repetition will help it sink in, and you'll eventually come up with a style of rapping that is in between the fast syllable counts and the funky rhythms of someone else.

As for writing about things that are alien to you, it's all about practice. I write songs based on how the song feels.

So say if it were a sad beat but my task was to talk about pizza, I would tell the story of how my poor parents bought a take out pizza as a treat for the family and I totally ****ed that up by dropping the pizza trying to preview it.

If it were a happy beat, you could talk about how you aren't starving anymore. (Starving artist blah blah)

Take the concept you want to talk about and think about it from every single angle you can think of. The lyrics you write are the details of the whole picture that is your song. The background music is the basic canvas to portray an emotion, with the words being an avenue for your listener to connect to YOU.

I hope that made sense? I am a man of tangents.

I would try writing to songs/instrumentals that aren't even rap! Even if they're at an uncomfortable BPM, it will do nothing but make you more versatile and able to keep your material fresh instead of reusing the same flow

a few tools of advice for this

dont take yourself/lifestyle/pride too serious. this way you'll allow yourself to write about anything, even breakfast at a donut shop

set a challenge for yourself where you write 8 bars a day based on topics someone else gives you

freestyle. freestyling is great because it shows who you are. its like putting your subconscious mind on a consistent conveyor belt. the easiest way to do it is just be yourself cause you will have to eventually when you're on the spot like that. its very fun

a few tools of advice for this

dont take yourself/lifestyle/pride too serious. this way you'll allow yourself to write about anything, even breakfast at a donut shop

set a challenge for yourself where you write 8 bars a day based on topics someone else gives you

freestyle. freestyling is great because it shows who you are. its like putting your subconscious mind on a consistent conveyor belt. the easiest way to do it is just be yourself cause you will have to eventually when you're on the spot like that. its very fun
Thanks for your information...I need One too

Back