Biggie and jay-z's songwriting methods

W

Wolf On The Hill

does anyone know much about the way biggie and jay-z write songs.
cause i know they both think them up in their heads without needing to write **** down. am just curious as to how the hell they can do this.

Surely they couldnt freestyle a rap to be good enough. Wouldnt they just have raps memorized in their head from previously writing them down?

Most people right their stuff down, im not sure about Biggie but apparently Jay Z just steps into the booth and spits whatever comes into his head, although it may not be perfect at the time I assume he just keeps on recording it until it is right, so it's just multiple takes I reckon.

Imy786 said:
Most people right their stuff down, im not sure about Biggie but apparently Jay Z just steps into the booth and spits whatever comes into his head, although it may not be perfect at the time I assume he just keeps on recording it until it is right, so it's just multiple takes I reckon.

Please don't believe that he just gets in the booth and spits ... smh!!! lol Jay punches in a hell of a lot so that doesn't count as a 1 taker... if you are a true emcee ... you'll have thousands of bars and 16s to 24s or just verses you'll murk. After along time of doing this, you develop a good memory ... therefore when you hear a beat and a tempo that matches a particular verse you'll use that and deliver it to the beat ... that simple ... just write and remember your hottest lines ... if you forget your lines.. then it wasn't all that hot to beginn with..lol

I didnt say that he was a 1 take wonder, what Im trying to say is that he obviously has **** in his head that he lays down and perfects this by recording it in multi takes.

Even the best freestyler cant just come up with **** on the fly it obviously has to come from somewhere. Even before someone writes lyrics down it's in your head first is it not?

Like you said if it cant be memorised it prob aint hot or the emcee isnt good enough to remember their own lyrics.

Biggie denied freestyling his verses. He wrote everything that he spit.

Jay-Z also does not freestyle his verses, he just doesn't write them down. There are interviews where they both say these things.

at the end of hard knock life jay said that he had to memorize the song the whole way home, its not hard to remember a whole song and write it in your head--i used to do it when i first started--you just take it one bar at a time constantly repeating

so yeah its multiple takes of something that you have pretty much memorized

it's not that difficult just store your information in your hippocampus its just like repeating the verses over and over in your head you dont need a pen or pad..

another thing when you freestyle it all comes from a thought everything begins with a thought bottom line..

Last edited:
onenationenterprise said:
it's not that difficult just store your information in your hippocampus its just like repeating the verses over and over in your head you dont need a pen or pad..

another thing when you freestyle it all comes from a thought everything begins with a thought bottom line..

Yeah, instead of writing it down just keep repeating the parts as you make them up from your head, adding a new bar as you move on. Sounds harder than it actually is...I do it and know others that do it as well. I prefer paper and pen, but sometimes I have better results doing it this way...

i've seen footage of both of them writing in the studio. as for jay-z that dude has more sh!t with him than a lil bit. i dont know about anybody else but coming up wit a verse in my head is cake and it should be to anybody who has been doin this that long. plus alot of jay-z stuff sounds more complicated then it really is. and as far as how many takes he needs thats weak. my producers and engineers throw a fit about punching in. if you gotta punch in to record how you gonna spit it str8 thru live?

usually when im bout to spit 16 bar verses.. I'm lazy so i just write 8 and think of 8 more that will go along with it and it usually b hot..

Block Runna said:
jayz doesnt write his lyrics cus he uses bigs.

^thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard cuz jay and big sound nothin alike

also the one accused of usin bigs lyrics was diddy

country boy said:

ppl need 2 get their knowledge straight:rolleyes:

country boy said:

Jay-z has bittin some of pac and bigs lines I'm not real sure if diddy has or not but jay is still a good mc jus has a tendincy to bite.

^no, trust me on that

i have listened to plenty of pac, big, and jay

just because an idea might be similar doesnt make it a bitten line

diddy was never attacked for biting either, he was attacked for using big's lyrics--just like fat joe was attacked for using puns lyrics

Jay-Z did use their lines..

Proof:

Anyways..Big said in an interview that he used write songs in his head..and that he could store about 4 to 5 songs in his head.

eqbeatz said:
Jay-Z did use their lines..

Proof:

Anyways..Big said in an interview that he used write songs in his head..and that he could store about 4 to 5 songs in his head.

my comp takes forever to upload songs

just do like azlyrics or somethin an post lines bitten and what line was bitten

Back