best pop records of all time to get pointers on what made it great?

prodeucer

I could think of all the best selling albums, could I just go by this? Or the hits on the radio? Right? Unless you all got some suggestions on what makes great pop?

I need great pop records to get influenced by so I can get a feel of its formulaic structure. I would guess any of the big selling ones is good enough?

Last edited:
Pop music is just popular music. The 'pop' genre does have a generic style to it, which helps it achieve great commercial success because they are easy to understand and are pretty straight forward these days. Take it back to the day, Michael Jackson was a pop artist, however, it was evident that his music was fused with an RnB/Soul/Disco influence. Today, we have Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber etc. In my opinion, back in the day, lyrics had more meaning and innovation. But today, pop music seems to be music that just bangs in the club and geared towards younger generations.

If I was to produce a pop song to become a big seller in this day and age, my formula would be = simple lyrics + simple catchy up-tempo beat. Aimed at a general audience.

Pop records that have achieved great commercial success over recent times: Lady Gaga - Just Dance, Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble, Zara Larsson and MNEK - I will Never Forget You, Naughty Boy - La La La, Clean Bandit - Rather Be

Major chord progressions, simple lyrics, and a well developed marketing plan. If there is one producer that you need to study is Max Martin, this guy literally help create just about every pop hit you can think of no lie lol. Also Dr.Luke is worth studying MUSICALLY, he too has had a hand in many pop hits

Back