Attn rappers/urban artists ...What do look for when choosing an instrumentals?

nykotai

Just curious what drives you as artist to pick a specific instrumental?
What process do you go through?

Thanks

I absolutely go on feel. I have to connect with the instrumental. Some joint are hot, but I just don't bond with them. Being a producer as well helps, because the music mind is creating specifically for the writer mind.

Henele

I go for feel as well. As producer you have the edge because you know what to look for. And if it rides. I love beats that moves.

Yeah you gotta have some kind of connection to beat so the words just come effortlessly.

Also for me, it depends on what kind of sound/tone i'm going for on the project that the song would be a part of

Originality, the instrumental has to have a distinctive character that makes it stand out.

I generally go for beats with lots of harmony (chord progressions, i hate percussive beats), variation and at least a bassline

Originality and Character are most important

Teddy Dayton

My first criterias for not skipping a beat is the feel of it, then the sound quality (mixing-wise). If the mix is horrible, chances are that the producer who made it couldn't mix it right if i bought the beat from him. And if he can't mix it, i can't play it at concerts.

I mean, get it together! Take some extra hours EQ'ing to get that kick sounding just right, pan your other drums, and lay that bassline down properly!

I know i know, every beat ain't gonna be dope as hell.. But good mixing can bring that beat your are not too happy with up a couple notches, and that may be good enough to make a sale!

Keep it up fellow FP'ers, cause up is the only way we can go!

If Rick Ross is comfortable with lying on it and spitting fictional coke kingpin shit on em, then I feel a deep connection. I'm bullshittin
Its whatever your vibe is. My vibe is 90s R&B... give me a vintage Tyrese or Playa instrumental and I'm good

it just has 2 have that it factor. something that i like soon as i hear it. something like love at first sight.

Last edited:
I just gotta feel the beat and in order for me to do that i have to feel some type of emotion out of the instrumental for example a masterpiece like YoungJeezy-Dontdoit.

Back