The Art of Freestyling

Do you think freestlying is relevent in today's music culture?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not In Mainstream Music

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
How many of you think freestyling is a slowly dying art in today's music culture?

How many appreciate this art?

If there is any freestylers on this site:

Post some freestyling tips and exercisies on mastering;

Breath control, imaging, story telling, precisely timing of punchlines, rhymes, similies, metaphors, and using vocal tones to bend words and sounds.

Not only rapping, but any form of vocal expression exp; singing, scatting, beatboxing, etc.

Last edited:
i think its dying in the mainstream. a lot of rappers go on the radio and "freestyle" a verse thats on a mix tape from a few months ago or off an album thats gonna drop soon. i think a lot of people still freestyle though, i know anytime me an my homies is chillin all we do is make music and rap. when i freestlye i just let my mind go blank an spit what ever comes out. i be sayin some of the illest shit when i dont think about it. you just have to let the music dictate what you say

Yeah I think it's dead in mainstream, because non of the records exec's gives a **** whether you can freestyle or not, they just care about sales, and freestyles ain't going to make you platinum. Not that I don't like freestyle I personally think it's crazy how mcs come up with shit at a blink of an eye.

definately dead on the mainstream, like EastCash said, freestyling doesn't sell. Plus, i dont think that freestyling is a music genre anyway, its more of an incredible exercice to keep your mind fresh and have fun with your friends (I mean ye, freestyling gives you the most random stuff ever :D)

personally i love freestyling, its the first thing i do after wakin'up. I do it all the time, in my own head when im not alone/with friends. People say i'm weird cuz i'm cracking myself up by freestylin in my head :D

best advice is probably to let go. Don't be afraid to say bullshit and not even rhyme. Just dive into the swimmin' pool, theres no need to grab a handle.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, since no mainstream artists can kick a freestyle anymore. Most of 'em spit entire verses that they don't use in albums. It's been a long time since i haven't seen Em freestylin for example

Back