Analyzing lyrics

shanchu

Hey guys

Ive been analyzing songs by transcribing them, but I'm curious to see if there is anyway to analyze lyrics in a similar way. Ive heard from people to sort of copy them down and stuff like that, but I was wondering if anyone else had any advice?

there are several tools to use

meter

- in terms of poetic feet

- what sort of rhythmic pattern or emphasis is in use and how many of them are in a line or repeated structure

e.g. iambic pentameter means each line has 5 iambic feet or rhythmic/accent units in the pattern of short/long, or unstressed/stressed

"he went to town to see his girl today" is a line of iambic pentameter

most of what is at wikipedia on poetic meter and poetic feet is very useful to read through Metre (poetry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rhyme schemes

- complex or simple look for where rhymes occur (usually a the end of the line but sometimes at the start or even in the middle)

- other possibilities too where you have alternating rhyming schemes so that you have A-B-A-B-A-B-C-D-C-D-A-B-A-B-A-A

- don't overlook partial rhymes and the forced ones for orange

I can only think that you are very young - this method was taught to me during High School English to analyse poetry from a structural point of view

to completely absorb someone's style you would also need to analyse the thematic ideas, the use of metaphor, onomatopoeia, simile, hyperbole, metonymy, synechdoche, personificaton, irony and other literary means of expressing ideas in a roundabout way

I just don't think you can do something in ones style actually, so when you try to emulate somebody something new comes through, your own thing coupled with what makes them great

agreed

the point of analysing is to understand structural and thematic concepts not to duplicate

I take Bandcoachs approach often but every song is different for the most part. I look for those things tat standout and make it different. Such as that line or few bars that go off typical pattern when reading them but actually stay in pocket with the beat. That gets me every time like a GFK, Guru, Nas like.

Back