To all lyricist

Inda Skies

Write from your heart and you will never fail. That's why people love the Andre 3000's, Tupac's and Kendrick Lamar's. Nothing beats the soul

Write from your heart and you will never fail. That's why people love the Andre 3000's, Tupac's and Kendrick Lamar's. Nothing beats the soul

A romantic idea but wrong on so many levels. First where/how does this soul exist, what is it? Lets continue hoping by soul you mean true feelings, in which case writing from your true emotions gives you authenticity, that's it. It doesn't give you popularity, skill, noteriety or a host of other things you need to be sucessful.

P.s. you're going to regret putting Kendrick Lamar's name next to Tupacs once he falls off the map.

I understand where you're coming from. However I never once said that being authentic (which yes is what i mean by the soul. funny how it's just something that's understood without having to be explained) is the end all be all to being successful as a artist. With that being said if you're in the rap industry with being anything other than authentic you just won't last. I can't name one person who has great success in this game that followed fads. Fads come and go, the way you touch someone through your music lives forever and you will never be able to let it go. The skill and notoriety that you speak of comes from one thing and one thing only, it's something that one of the best fighters of all time constantly chants, and that is "Hardwork and Dedication". Which brings me to another point. Many have made short term success via hardwork and dedication such as your Soulja Boy's and New Boy'z etc. Now another point I would like to make is that the rappers in that category are not what we shall consider "lyricist". They were able to put together good songs and put people on a fad. If you want longevity in this game, you must touch people in their hearts and/or be tremendous in your business ventures. Who's still around from the 90's? Businessmen and lyricist (Nas, Jay Z, Dr. Dre). Sure there's a plethora doing things in their own market to this day (KRS-One, Afrikan Bambatta, Wu-Tang, etc). And if you're a rapper just looking for popularity, you should've got more pussy in high school. Just my personal opinion.

P.S. As far as my future "regret" of me putting Kendrick's name next to Pac's. Kendrick is the closest thing we've ever seen to a Pac. He's a better lyricist then Pac in all honesty. However I understand that Pac had a energy and a SOUL that just hasn't been matched by anyone thus far. I believe that Kendrick will be around for a long time simply because he only get's better and more raw with each body of work he puts out (starting with when he first changed his name and put out "Kendrick Lamar EP to the arguable best mainstream rap album in 5 years, "GKMC") But hey of course you could be right and I could be wrong, and vice versa, only time and the universe can tell that. And if so, as one of the kingpin of the game told us "In order to survive, gotta learn to live with regrets" - Jay Z

Inda Skies

I agree Heart, Soul & Solar plexus. I recommend reading The master key system by Charles F. Haanel talks a lot about energy.

I'll have to check that book out brother man. I'm all into the energy system and Chakras etc. Thanks for the recommendation.

Good sentiment, but not clear on how to write from the heart. It's misty and misguided. There are no shortcuts to great writing, just practice and learning, practice and learning. It's a craft like any other, and that sure as hell doesn't cheapen it.

GKMC was 1 day for Kendrick living in compton. 1 single day. He has a lot more to say and will be around for a long time.

diversify what you listen to, your vocabulary, and narrow how you feel down.

To Everyone Who Doesn't Think Kendrick's Name Belongs Next To Tupac's...

To Everyone Who Doesn't Think Kendrick's Name Belongs Next To Tupac's...
Kendrick won't fall off the map, ever. As far as what he does as a person and his awareness of community makes him a perfect fit next to Pac's name. I think people forget all the commercial sounding songs that Tupac has made himself, and not to disrespect a legend, but he stirred up quit a bit of confrentation within his community by fighting with Biggie, and all of the east coast essentially dividing black people in half. Like I said no disrespect to Pac whatsoever, RIP, but nobody is perfect and Kendrick has a good head on his shoulders.

i agree with OP gotta come from the heart with it,but i believe you also gotta have some type of skill on the M.I.C....a nice balance of both.
(and i don't think kendrick is falling off anytime soon...but we'll see.)

Back