4 Key Goals to Improving Your Songwriting

triggerbeats

Whether you’re a Rapper, Singer or a Producer, defining your goals is the first step towards reaching them. Now I’m a producer, I produce hip hop instrumentals and R&B/Pop music. Producing is also considered songwriting in its own respect. So I can tell you as a “songwriter” so to speak, there is no specific curriculum, no checklist and no predetermined pathway to become a professional songwriter. But I can give you 4 successful key tips from my experience:

1. Be specific about your goals

Write them out; and put deadlines for your goals — and you will greatly improve your chances of success. Having a big ambition is important, but it can be quite overwhelming. For that reason, breaking your goal up into smaller, more specific chunks is a great way to achieve what you want. For example, If you’re one of the above artists, you might have an overall goal to get your song played on a television show. That’s a great goal, and it’s important to outline what you want in that way, but by itself it doesn’t have much direction. You’d need to study the techniques it takes to get placed on TV shows, and how to get your song there. Your first goal may be something like “By November 1, I’ll have read a book and taken a class specifically geared towards getting my music on TV.” Try checking out www.Udemy.com

2. Develop Relationships

Your next goal might be to start making contact with Music Supervisors. It’s best to develop relationships with people before simply contacting them to get something from them. You may make your next goal something like this: “By December 1, I’ll have attended a songwriting convention and have met and exchanged information with three music supervisors. I’ll also research and contact 10 music supervisors online by that time.” These goals will keep getting refined until you get the results you’re looking for. And by being specific and adding deadlines, you’re much more likely to succeed.

3. Don’t measure your own progress by other people’s success.

This is pretty self explanatory, but lets go deeper. You don’t succeed by beating others, you succeed by growing yourself. An easy way to make yourself seem insignificant is to think about all the success someone who’s already established has. Or thinking about all the things you want to achieve, but haven’t yet. And then thinking about how you don’t have any of that stuff yet. Don’t do that. Instead measure yourself against how far you’ve already come. Think about the goals you’ve achieved already and all the improvement you’ve made in the past 5 months, two years, or the last decade. Measure yourself against your old standards, and keep moving forward and making progress.

4. (BONUS) Continue to my site to read the 4th and Most important key

Last edited:
Back