SOULFUL TRAP BEAT - Need some vocal mixing tips!!!

burny94

Hey guys,

Just produced a new song, and i'm worried about the vocal mix... specifically with the harmonies. If anyone could shed any light on how I could have mixed the vocals better or even some tips you guys do with your vocals that would be great!!! :D

Here is the track: https://soundcloud.com/burnykun/pause

Thanks for Listening!!

I have no idea or experience when it comes to vocals. But the beat is nice, the rolls are dope. Everything sounds great on my phone. Vocals are slightly overpowered by the beat though.

Returning feed. Hey this is real dope. I think the singer is cool and that dirty bassline is super nice. The bassline that drops at 1:30 sounds pretty off to me though. I think the first note that comes in on the down beat doesn't really agree with my ear but idk. Overall, the beat composition is great and real original.

As far as the mixing goes, it could definitely be sharper all around imo. there's some great threads on here about mixing vox. For the harmonies, I would turn the volume down a little, add slight reverb, and a compressor so that they sound a little more like backing instrumentation instead of independent voices. Let me know if you'd like someone to mix this together for you, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it.

really a good Beat. Nice Voice from the singer. Im not a pro in mixing Vocal. But i would turn the other instrumentation slightly down. I would buss the other instruments and cut some frequencies to make some room for the voice. the human voice sits around 2k google this and you should know. maybe also cut some in the 300hz range so the voice is more upfront.

Else i really like the Beat, very well done!

Check out my Beat:

https://soundcloud.com/nakrat/see-the-light-final-mix
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...k-tune-let-me-know-what-you-think-f4f-477287/

The vocals and the track sound good independently, it seems like something may be off. What type of processing have you already done to the vocals?

Also, a good way to mix in the vocals is to find a good track that is somewhat similar to your track and try to replicate some aspects of the sound that you're going for.

Dope track man , dig the composition on this joint . Something real creative to be honnest , Mix sound clean . When it come to vocals i usually just mess with compression , dynamic and lil eq to cut the low frenquencies and make it sound more crisp but its already sound good imo .

Great track overall keep up that good work and thanks for the feed on my post

Just listened to your track and I gotta say that I enjoyed it!! I'm not too big a fan of the snap, but overall good work. Love the trap and soul combo you got going on

Good stuff! Definitely my type of track. Everything fits perfectly but the vocals aren't blending in properly with the overall mix.
I am not the best vocal mixer/engineer but I will share some of my tips that I learned on mixing vocals.
This is going to be a long post so prepare yourself.

EQ
Create a bus mix for the vocals so you can use the same settings for the backing vocals (if you have any)
- You want to low cut all the unnecessary frequencies that might interfere with your Drum and Bass sounds.
- Remove little bit of around 2000~3000 hz (Play around with it until you find the settings you want)
- One trick I learned from an engineer is that if you boost 8200hz by 4db it gives you a "Professional Recording" sound.
- For backing vocals cut around 780 hz
What you want to achieve at this stage is to remove any unwanted frequencies and adding little bit of subtle "color" to the vocal track. Look for "resonance" to remove any unwanted frequencies, if you don't know how to do this just look it up on youtube.

Tuning
(Melodyne/Autotune)
I won't go too much detail about this because its not really necessary for this track but a good practice is to tune your vocal to perfection or as best as you can.
Create a stereo bus track (bus plugins must be in stereo and your vocal track has to be mono)
Find the key of the song, mess with the "Retune" setting accordingly.
Remember, you will hear some difference but it will be subtle, you're not making a dramatic change here.

Compressor
Then we come to the compression which will allow your vocals to stand out in the mix.
Compressor I recommend is CLA-2A by Waves, which is a remake of a famous rake that is used for a lot of vocals.
I don't know what DAW you are using but whether you use waves plugins or not, a lot of compressors come with "VOX" settings so look in to that and make adjustments accordingly.
Some engineers like to combine CLA-2A with RVox by Waves but this step is completely optional.

DE-Esser
This compresses the "S" noise of the voice. Check out DE-ESSER by Waves.

Reverb
- Use a send track for reverb, so you can leave the dry signal of the vocals.
- Keep in mind that "Plate" is usually the standard for vocals.
- My recommendation for reverb is Lexicon [LexVintagePlate Golden Plates]
If you want to be even more intricate, add a stereo imager to your Reverb bus to widen the signal of reverb.
Remember the settings on reverb will mostly depends on the "sound" you are looking for in the vocal but you won't be making any "dramatic" effects here to your vocals

Stereo Delay
Until now, I have listed all the essential tools that you want to add to your vocals. Stereo delay is not strictly necessary, but it adds some nice effect so it really depends on the taste and on the timbre and the effect you wanna achieve with your vocal. Stereo delay allows you to fill those empty spaces around the vocal. The use of stereo delay will heavily depend on the genre of the song and your personal willing.

Supertap
This is a plugin that's used quite a bit when mixing vocals and its a plug-in by Waves (yet again) called SuperTap
What it does in a nutshell, it lets the vocals stand out in the mix a little bit more, its very subtle.
It will make your vocal sound "stereo" and widens it without affecting too much of the dry centered (mono) signal of your vocal. Its not something you can't live without but its a great tool to add to your vocal mix.
One another quick note I want to make here before we continue is that all of the steps I gave you are all small steps/subtle changes that will eventually glue together and help the vocals stand out.

Final Touches
- Throw in another EQ at the end to make any subtle changes/remove resonance.
- If you want to soften up the "Attack" of the vocal, add another reverb on the vocal channel instead of the bus.
- Add a Stereo Imager on your bus track. It adds very very short delay that gives impression that vocal is panned and you do this to "Center" your main vocal little bit more. Remember you only want to apply very very little bit of the settings (0.1 or 0.2 on all 4 bands)

Ducking
Sidechain some of your instruments (mostly your main element of the track) to your main vocals so that the instrument ducks when the vocals come in. You want to have very quick Attack on your compressor (around 1.0 ms) and your release should be around 20~25 ms. Adjust the threshold accordingly to the instrument that it's being applied. Keep the ratio around the middle. Make sure you turn your "Gain Reduction" off.

Final Notes
- List of things that you will probably need every time = EQ, Tuning , Compression , Reverb(Plate) , Desser and Ducking.
- List of things you may want to add to create particular atmosphere = Delays (Stereo, mono , Ping Pong delay) , Doubling your vocals if you want your vocals to be more "stereoized" instead of letting your vocals just sit on center, backing vocals, Long Reverb, SuperTap.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with too much informations but I hope you can learn a thing or two from it. (Took me a long time to write this lol.) You don't have to try to apply all of this at once. Try to understand each step before moving on to the next, I'd advise you to do some personal research on everything I've listed here. Use what works for you and apply it and reject anything that doesn't work for you.

Last edited:
I really like this, i could def hear the trappish influence because of the snarerolls and the highhats.
really liked the vocals in it. you've done a good job on those.
Really loved how that melody comes in at 0:51.
I feel like the mixing is on point.

You did a great job on this one bro!

Musically/Instrumentally this is great. Arpeggio was a nice touch, as well as the strings.
Thought the bass could do with more of a release, so that each note fades out rather than stopping so suddenly.

Also thought this was a similar case with your drums, especially the snare can click, they could do with some reverb, give them more of an airy feel - i also would knock that click back in the mix too (either
turn it down slightly and/or play with the EQ)

As for the vocals i'd also say a similar thing, shes sounding quite static rather than gliding in out of the track. Its like when she stops singing, in between words/lines there is nothing. You can help this situation by adding abit of delay to the main vocals and then again abit more reverb.

No major problems in my eyes though, good work!

Thanks for the feedback.

Good stuff! Definitely my type of track. Everything fits perfectly but the vocals aren't blending in properly with the overall mix.
I am not the best vocal mixer/engineer but I will share some of my tips that I learned on mixing vocals.
This is going to be a long post so prepare yourself.

EQ
Create a bus mix for the vocals so you can use the same settings for the backing vocals (if you have any)
- You want to low cut all the unnecessary frequencies that might interfere with your Drum and Bass sounds.
- Remove little bit of around 2000~3000 hz (Play around with it until you find the settings you want)
- One trick I learned from an engineer is that if you boost 8200hz by 4db it gives you a "Professional Recording" sound.
- For backing vocals cut around 780 hz
What you want to achieve at this stage is to remove any unwanted frequencies and adding little bit of subtle "color" to the vocal track. Look for "resonance" to remove any unwanted frequencies, if you don't know how to do this just look it up on youtube.

Tuning
(Melodyne/Autotune)
I won't go too much detail about this because its not really necessary for this track but a good practice is to tune your vocal to perfection or as best as you can.
Create a stereo bus track (bus plugins must be in stereo and your vocal track has to be mono)
Find the key of the song, mess with the "Retune" setting accordingly.
Remember, you will hear some difference but it will be subtle, you're not making a dramatic change here.

Compressor
Then we come to the compression which will allow your vocals to stand out in the mix.
Compressor I recommend is CLA-2A by Waves, which is a remake of a famous rake that is used for a lot of vocals.
I don't know what DAW you are using but whether you use waves plugins or not, a lot of compressors come with "VOX" settings so look in to that and make adjustments accordingly.
Some engineers like to combine CLA-2A with RVox by Waves but this step is completely optional.

DE-Esser
This compresses the "S" noise of the voice. Check out DE-ESSER by Waves.

Reverb
- Use a send track for reverb, so you can leave the dry signal of the vocals.
- Keep in mind that "Plate" is usually the standard for vocals.
- My recommendation for reverb is Lexicon [LexVintagePlate Golden Plates]
If you want to be even more intricate, add a stereo imager to your Reverb bus to widen the signal of reverb.
Remember the settings on reverb will mostly depends on the "sound" you are looking for in the vocal but you won't be making any "dramatic" effects here to your vocals

Stereo Delay
Until now, I have listed all the essential tools that you want to add to your vocals. Stereo delay is not strictly necessary, but it adds some nice effect so it really depends on the taste and on the timbre and the effect you wanna achieve with your vocal. Stereo delay allows you to fill those empty spaces around the vocal. The use of stereo delay will heavily depend on the genre of the song and your personal willing.

Supertap
This is a plugin that's used quite a bit when mixing vocals and its a plug-in by Waves (yet again) called SuperTap
What it does in a nutshell, it lets the vocals stand out in the mix a little bit more, its very subtle.
It will make your vocal sound "stereo" and widens it without affecting too much of the dry centered (mono) signal of your vocal. Its not something you can't live without but its a great tool to add to your vocal mix.
One another quick note I want to make here before we continue is that all of the steps I gave you are all small steps/subtle changes that will eventually glue together and help the vocals stand out.

Final Touches
- Throw in another EQ at the end to make any subtle changes/remove resonance.
- If you want to soften up the "Attack" of the vocal, add another reverb on the vocal channel instead of the bus.
- Add a Stereo Imager on your bus track. It adds very very short delay that gives impression that vocal is panned and you do this to "Center" your main vocal little bit more. Remember you only want to apply very very little bit of the settings (0.1 or 0.2 on all 4 bands)

Ducking
Sidechain some of your instruments (mostly your main element of the track) to your main vocals so that the instrument ducks when the vocals come in. You want to have very quick Attack on your compressor (around 1.0 ms) and your release should be around 20~25 ms. Adjust the threshold accordingly to the instrument that it's being applied. Keep the ratio around the middle. Make sure you turn your "Gain Reduction" off.

Final Notes
- List of things that you will probably need every time = EQ, Tuning , Compression , Reverb(Plate) , Desser and Ducking.
- List of things you may want to add to create particular atmosphere = Delays (Stereo, mono , Ping Pong delay) , Doubling your vocals if you want your vocals to be more "stereoized" instead of letting your vocals just sit on center, backing vocals, Long Reverb, SuperTap.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with too much informations but I hope you can learn a thing or two from it. (Took me a long time to write this lol.) You don't have to try to apply all of this at once. Try to understand each step before moving on to the next, I'd advise you to do some personal research on everything I've listed here. Use what works for you and apply it and reject anything that doesn't work for you.

Dude this great advice.. thanks a lot for the post.. def gonna save this and use it for my next projects.. really man, thank you!!!

Back