Review & Feedback for Urban Music

K

Kalandar Music

Hi All,

My most recent song comes after some harsh criticism from one of the music industries most notable mastering engineers who gave me some advice on how to add texture and depth to my sound.

This song is a urban pop groove though music genres are becoming so ominous these days. It was written for a female soprano or male counter tenor.

I keep the sequence to three musical elements per part because I expect the vocals to be loud and busy. Please let me know your thought I am interested in knowing what the FP community thinks of this, my latest project.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7100758

wasn't expecting the high synth part...I had a different style melody in my head but it's pretty slick overall.

djzabr said:
wasn't expecting the high synth part...I had a different style melody in my head but it's pretty slick overall.
Hey thanks for the feedback! I curious as to what you were hearing in your head... might be a new song altogether. BTW are you talking about the synth part in the breakdown/bridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason it had a lot of static, and it was skipping. Is this how its suppose to sound? I couldn't take the static and skipping so I just went to the next one. I'm listening to latin jazz now. It definitely sounds like you follow the k.i.s.s. method. The switch up you put in there is cool. I would have to hear a full artist to judge it. Good percussion on it though. I think the instruments could be mixed a little better in it and could sound a little better.

Pop's JOint is sick. Like the bass on that one. THe drums are also pretty sick. Sometimes though, it comes off as videogamish with the melodies, which isn't a bad thing.

Moralz said:
For some reason it had a lot of static, and it was skipping. Is this how its suppose to sound?
Damn soundclick... my song is HD and is beyond the 128kbps that they ask for... if your computer can't handle the streaming rate it sounds wacky... I will have to convert it sometime this week. Sorry.

Moralz said:
I'm listening to latin jazz now. It definitely sounds like you follow the k.i.s.s. method. The switch up you put in there is cool. I would have to hear a full artist to judge it. Good percussion on it though. I think the instruments could be mixed a little better in it and could sound a little better.
I agree about the sounds... I got lazy.

Moralz said:
Pop's JOint is sick. Like the bass on that one. THe drums are also pretty sick. Sometimes though, it comes off as videogamish with the melodies, which isn't a bad thing.
Thanks man... actually it is for a video game. I made it for Tap Tap's Revenge.

overall its cool for being a video game soundtrack but that melody that comes in at 2:22 doesnt really make much sense to me. Just seems to be kinda lazy and doesnt really go anywhere melodically.

Whats there is good, but it does seem like its missing something.

I agree the switch up didnt do much for me, but it was so late in the song aswell.

sturdybeats said:
Whats there is good, but it does seem like its missing something.
My thinking was that the missing part would be filled by very busy and loud vocals... I have a 5 female vocalists that are out of this world. I didn't want the track to be too busy, I wanted to give them room to work... that was my thinking. But I agree as an instrumental its a little hollow or airy rather in the low-mid and mid range.

sturdybeats said:
I agree the switch up didnt do much for me, but it was so late in the song aswell.
I imagine that this part is unusual for straight hip hop producers. For an urban R&B song this bridge/breakdown was for choreographed dance. I'm thinking it might make more sense when you see 5 half naked beautiful girls moving an shaking... but I will look into the timing... perhaps 2:22 is a bit late? Thank you for the feedback, it is very helpful.

What about the groove? Anybody have any thoughts on the groove (i.e. kick to bass relationship).

Red Scare said:
overall its cool for being a video game soundtrack but that melody that comes in at 2:22 doesnt really make much sense to me. Just seems to be kinda lazy and doesnt really go anywhere melodically.
Moralz was talking about a different track... he couldn't listen to Song 06 B Master. He was talking about Pop's Joint.

Kalandar Music said:
Moralz was talking about a different track... he couldn't listen to Song 06 B Master. He was talking about Pop's Joint.

Yes I am talking about Song 06 B Master.....

yeah, I just didnt care for that melody that much that came in at 2:22. The rest was good but I thought the drums were a bit stiff. I see what you where going for but it didnt really groove enough for me....

ToNeZ said:
Im not to keen on that crackly noise on the sound but its not a bad idea. The drums need to come alot more and so do most of ur instruments. Just give things space by panning things and turning them up. Feed back please https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48284116#post48284116 thanks
ToNeZ you just touched on everything I hear wrong with this track. And by "come alot more" I assume you mean gain?

What I was thinking was:
  • + spacial panning and MS decoding
  • + harmonic EQ adding a little color to fill in the the sonic gaps.
  • + db in drums, slight boost in Kick and some + in on snare at about 2khz
Thanks man... you are spot on with my own observations and notes.

Thats cool 'kalender music' i did mean to say "come up alot more". But yeah they need to come up dynamically in the mix. Experiment with a compressor, i know how to use one properly and why things do things so shout me if your need a hand. I study music technology you see. Anyways just play around with the mix enit! panning and stuff. get at me and remember to check my **** www.myspace.com/tonezpro

Back