Need constructive criticism on 2 beats please ( : !!

filmgirls01

I've been learning ableton about the past 9 months. Any tips on how to improve my sound, mixing, drum patterns, ect? what do you guys think? :-)

I've been learning ableton about the past 9 months. Any tips on how to improve my sound, mixing, drum patterns, ect? what do you guys think? :-)

For the first beat, I'm digging everything about it except for the Drum pattern on the verses, sounds off beat to me, and maybe speed up the intro to the verse but other than that I like the beat. For the second beat, it's aight, the off piano that hits doesn't really need to be in the beat in my opinion. Drum pattern is cool, mixing, sound etc... is good, maybe have the kicks hit harder & more variation to beat but other than that the beat is good.

Hello Ashley,

First beat

Intro is great, the build up is good the drums might need a big more adjusting on the low ends but eq should do the trick. As X_N_ stated it does sound a bit off beat. The layering of the synth and bass are great but a bit variation in the drums will help as well, overall great beat few things to improve on but overall nice beat.

Second Beat:

Very nice eerie horror sound to the beggening, I could see this in a horror movie for sure, the drums are nice but should hit alot harder. Are you using compressors on your instruments ? maybe boosting up the sound a bit on the drums. your bridge is awsome. The overall beat is great and is defiantly a hit but the drums for sure need to hit harder, it might just be the long day but the hi hats sound a bit off here and there. If you need anyhelp feel free to inbox me your info im always up for helping others.

If you could give me some feedback on my beat it would be much appreciate.

www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/showcase-your-music-give-receive-feedback/rap-chill-rap-boom-bap-trap-dirty-south-etc/new-horror-trap-beat-**f4f**-485208/

Last edited:
first beat is Great but there was a Melody that was really off sometimes but overall it was great

Second beat is good too but the thing that bothered me was when there was a build up but then it doesnt really give it that Boom Know what I mean/ i was expecting that basss to come out but like i said Overall its Great keep on doing what you do bro

If i could recieve Feedback on mine that would be great:http: www.futureproducers.com/forums/prod...say-lex-luger-type-beat-check-out-f4f-485317/

Last edited:
First beat: The sounds and composition is dope and sounds well produced until the drums come in. To me its not so much the pattern its more the quality of the drums. Maybe you're using low quality drums or didn't process them well compared to the crisp and fullness of the other sounds. I like the lift off to the chorusses its obvious like its supposed to be. The drum pattern itself does get a bit dull after some time try to mix it up for like the last bar before the chorus and the 6th bar. Just some places where a ill punchline would come in.

Tip on the drums. try to carve out the sweet spots of the drums while eqing your sounds. Like your bass isnt that low there is some space for a 808 under your kick or gate your kick with a 50hz test tone (i believe Ableton has that too) to give it that low end thump. or eq some high end of your bass and layer that one with a nice deep bass to give it an overal finished feel.

Second Beat: Damn that melody is murderous, makes you want to go out and hunt a cat. I was so deep into the beat until the drums came in that was a bit of a let down but no problem nothing some processing can't fix.

First of all turn your drums up a bit louder, music is driven by rythm and bass so turn them both up. And add a deep bass or kick like i said with the first beat. Cause this one misses some lowend too. Next thing is space, if you think your mids are getting too crowded or muddy if you turn your drums up then space the sounds ever more to the sides to make space for your bass and kick in the middle and most of the time your snare in the middle too. High end can be real thick and wide or just make m hit on one side both is dope.

Compress them with a slow attack and a rather fast release for some punch, try parallel compressing too for thickness, Layer your snares for a more hitting one, and try to layer it with something that contains a lot of high end (like a woodblock) so it cuts through the mix and that people perceive it as loud even though it doesnt have to be. But again your composition and the sounds are real dope keep that thing up.

Hope this was usefull, Peace.

Wassup, First beat: Again i'm really digging your composition and the fullness of your mids. it sounds great. And is that saxlab your using for the lead horn? yes or no it doesnt matter it lacks bit of air and realism to it. Try to imagine a real horn player. give him breaks for breathing and give it some air try to play with velocity and warmth. Brass and horns love vintage warmth. Download some emulations of vintage saturation devices or just eq's and comps that got vintage color to them. I like the drums they bang and sound real good but it sounds like the same pattern all the way through and it's a bit too static while your instruments flow nicely if you know what i mean?

If you have pads or a keyboard try playing it live and not quantizing it. if your off wayy to much for one note just do it over. play in bars of 2 or 4 or even 8 or 16 if your rythm is on time all the way.

Second Beat: I keep repeating myself but i really like the space you give your sounds. Your drums are dope on this one the snare hits as hard as it should. the kick lacks depth in my opinion more punch and width would fit nicely in this song. sidechain it with your bass and give your kick some deep bottom end and let it all breath with eachother. Mind your piano though some notes were too late and its noticable because your drums keep on rocking. Im not saying quantize i'm saying let it live but be on time with it. Overal a real banging beat. Digging it and your style.

I hope this was usefull;)

Feedback; Jazz Hip-Hop

Last edited:
Thankyou! I'm definitely workin on the drums for future projects

For the first beat, I'm digging everything about it except for the Drum pattern on the verses, sounds off beat to me, and maybe speed up the intro to the verse but other than that I like the beat. For the second beat, it's aight, the off piano that hits doesn't really need to be in the beat in my opinion. Drum pattern is cool, mixing, sound etc... is good, maybe have the kicks hit harder & more variation to beat but other than that the beat is good.

Last edited:
Hello Ashley,

First beat

Intro is great, the build up is good the drums might need a big more adjusting on the low ends but eq should do the trick. As X_N_ stated it does sound a bit off beat. The layering of the synth and bass are great but a bit variation in the drums will help as well, overall great beat few things to improve on but overall nice beat.

Second Beat:

Very nice eerie horror sound to the beggening, I could see this in a horror movie for sure, the drums are nice but should hit alot harder. Are you using compressors on your instruments ? maybe boosting up the sound a bit on the drums. your bridge is awsome. The overall beat is great and is defiantly a hit but the drums for sure need to hit harder, it might just be the long day but the hi hats sound a bit off here and there. If you need anyhelp feel free to inbox me your info im always up for helping others.

If you could give me some feedback on my beat it would be much appreciate.

www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/showcase-your-music-give-receive-feedback/rap-chill-rap-boom-bap-trap-dirty-south-etc/new-horror-trap-beat-**f4f**-485208/

I may not have used a compressor on that one. But I am missing my sub bass & 808s! Thanks for your help also!

First beat: The sounds and composition is dope and sounds well produced until the drums come in. To me its not so much the pattern its more the quality of the drums. Maybe you're using low quality drums or didn't process them well compared to the crisp and fullness of the other sounds. I like the lift off to the chorusses its obvious like its supposed to be. The drum pattern itself does get a bit dull after some time try to mix it up for like the last bar before the chorus and the 6th bar. Just some places where a ill punchline would come in.

Tip on the drums. try to carve out the sweet spots of the drums while eqing your sounds. Like your bass isnt that low there is some space for a 808 under your kick or gate your kick with a 50hz test tone (i believe Ableton has that too) to give it that low end thump. or eq some high end of your bass and layer that one with a nice deep bass to give it an overal finished feel.

Second Beat: Damn that melody is murderous, makes you want to go out and hunt a cat. I was so deep into the beat until the drums came in that was a bit of a let down but no problem nothing some processing can't fix.

First of all turn your drums up a bit louder, music is driven by rythm and bass so turn them both up. And add a deep bass or kick like i said with the first beat. Cause this one misses some lowend too. Next thing is space, if you think your mids are getting too crowded or muddy if you turn your drums up then space the sounds ever more to the sides to make space for your bass and kick in the middle and most of the time your snare in the middle too. High end can be real thick and wide or just make m hit on one side both is dope.

Compress them with a slow attack and a rather fast release for some punch, try parallel compressing too for thickness, Layer your snares for a more hitting one, and try to layer it with something that contains a lot of high end (like a woodblock) so it cuts through the mix and that people perceive it as loud even though it doesnt have to be. But again your composition and the sounds are real dope keep that thing up.

Hope this was usefull, Peace.

thanks, that was extremely informative !!

Ok, I'm listening...
First Beat:

I like the intro... the mixing of the drum sound quality could've been better, but the composition is beautiful although there's slight parts I may have done differently with very minor minor pieces of the melody. I think a better violin sound could've been used to make it sound more realistic unless you intentionally used that... but overall I like it. Nice, calming track. Nice warmth as well.

Second beat:

has a similar vibe to the first beat.. I like the warmth in your tracks. Drum work is nice, mixing could be improved. I like how used the snare. I like the piano you used, like in the first one. 808s sound nice. Overall nice vibe track.

You're different and I like that.

Can you comment on this track? You can comment in here! I didn't make a separate forum! :) Clean Bandit - Rather Be (D.A.H. Trump Remix)

Thankyou! And I'm looking and searching everyday on ways to better my mixing and drums. doing my kicks have always been my weak area since i first started learning

Hi! IMO, the first beat is fine, just nothing super explosive and no real moments that make the song special. For an instrumental like this, you want moments to feel a little special, some one shots that wake up the beat. As for the second, I wish you had come in harder with the drums, they feel pretty weak and ineffective in driving the energy of the song.

Back