New Wale Type Beat (F4F!)

I think you have some conflicting elements in the song. The sitar/guitar thing is pretty funky and rock like while there are some minor discordant things going on with the pads and it creates a feel that I dont really like. It sounds best when the drums first come in. Peace.

i have to agree with s-cruz, some things don't really match well i can't say what instrument it is but it sounds really off. but i like the groove of the bassline and the drumpatterns sound really nice! thx for the feed bro

Hey first off, thanks for the feedback on mine. It's much appreciated.

I kinda dug this beat a lot, in comparison with a few of the others above me. There are definitely unnatural chord shifts and sound choices, I think that's what gives the beat its character as well as a certain mystique. The quickest references that come to mind who would sound good over something like this would be Odd Future, Mac Miller, and maybe Ab-Soul too.

I also liked the dustiness of the track too, with the crackles and hisses going on out on the fringes. It adds to that eerie vibe. I have no huge issues with the beat, so I really have no suggestions to offer. Dope beat in my opinion.

Really like the drums a lot. The chords as well that i can hear defo gives the beat its character, just like what ryanmcnally said. Overall you got a sick beat here

It's got a trippy vibe, I like it, I could see some rap about weird shit on it. Here are a few things I noticed:
- The sound saturates at times, I don't know what vst you got on the master channel but you might wanna check and change the settings to avoid that saturation
- The string instrument is very very dry, a bit of reverb would do wonders :)
- The intro lacks a little something as it's just the string instrument, maybe just something like a pad to fill the space would be nice.
I feel like there's a few things to fix here but I liked the weird vibe overall, it just needs more work.
Also having weird noises and stuff like that coming from left and right here and there would make it interesting :)
Cheers

I think the sound selection sounded a bit 'cheap' which could be fixed with some layering and eq so I would probably start there. That will make a night and day difference alone. The guitar I would have liked if you varied it a bit more and added some character, like some sliding notes or double/triple notes.

new-south-808-banger-bye-f4f

You're using some different instruments in this one, YWM, and I can appreciate that. As usual, great job with the drums and mixing them. Digging the breaks and always a big fan of the ride cymbals you use for your choruses. I feel like this beat is missing some piano or some instrument to give the melody a little more of a bounce to match the drums. I'm always down to send live piano I play in .wav format - lemme know. Also, something in my left headphone is peaking out and it sounds like the organ. Overall, smooth joint and I can def see Wale spittin on this. DMV!

If I gave any more feedback, it'd just be redundant to what everybody else has said. I like the drum sequencing and the bassline is cool.
I think the instrumentation needs cleaned up a little bit and sound selection could use some work as well, because somethings are conflicting in the mix/vibe of the record.
Overall, you're on the right track. Just mess around with that a little bit and you'll be good!

Back