Guitar solo over a rap beat (live guitar, video)

AG Beats

This was more of a practice session for me. I've been working on the scale for a couple days now, this was a little application exercise.

It's been a while since I've involved my self with anything related to rap or computer music so this was kind of nice. I'm trying to find a way to bridge the feel and sound of the past with today's culture. Anyway, let me know what you think. I know where I made some mistakes but curious to see what others have to say. How could I do better? Any ideas for songs that this inspires? I'll return the feedback if you post a link.

How does it make you feel?

Last edited:
damn this is great, love it! did you make the beat too?

check -> https://www.futureproducers.com/for...l-i-got-everything-prod-stranac-beats-472554/

I did make the beat! Thanks! I kind of copy and pasted a basic loop I had. My weak point right now is structuring stuff out to make full songs. I can come up with cool little sections but it's hard to piece things together. I think if I had a better drummer or got better at drum theory my self I could make transitions smoother. Right now I just kind of either program them in or use Studio Drummer in kontakt. It has some cool pre programmed grooves though.

Thanks again

this is real dope. i liked that you didnt over-do the solo and take up most of the beat's attention if you get what i mean. you just followed it melodically and it came up great. you dont see this often but i think guitar soloing are applicable to rap songs in bridges and it will give the beat more potential. overall a great job man cant wait to see more of this in the future!

appreciate it if you could feed me back: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-feedback/new-vic-mensa-type-beat-f4f-472994/

Wow really glad to get a positive response, thanks guys. I played a bit when I was younger and just got back into it around February. I'm always way too self critical but I still feel boxed in like I cant REALLY let it rip yet. Theres a few missed bends, timing issues, and licks I wish I would have spiced up a bit but hey we all get better with practice and a lot of you seem to like it so that makes me feel good! :)

I don't aim to be one of those scale shredders but I do want to play some burning fast licks sometimes. Trying to keep it honest, soulful and emotional ya know.

Ness Lee I'll check you SC and PM you.

this is real dope. i liked that you didnt over-do the solo and take up most of the beat's attention if you get what i mean. you just followed it melodically and it came up great. you dont see this often but i think guitar soloing are applicable to rap songs in bridges and it will give the beat more potential. overall a great job man cant wait to see more of this in the future!

appreciate it if you could feed me back: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...-feedback/new-vic-mensa-type-beat-f4f-472994/

Yeah I had been jamming over the track a while before I thought to film. Theres a lot of stuff I didn't put on the vid, the end I start to go crazy but mistakes start introducing them self. Only cause of the video I swear! Haha probably not but still something I need to work on.

When I went in with the camera I specifically tried to keep it simple just like you said cause guitarists always want to do too much it seems like. I wanted to have it build intensity. Thats where 1:20 something to about 1:35 comes in. If theres one part that something took over me and I nailed it, it was that wa wa chicky chicky bend thing right around 1:30 haha. My fav part.

I think it's VERY important to know how to use the dynamic range and let it BURN when you want it to instead of just wailing all the time. That even goes for your melody lines when just making a beat, not just guitar. Make your musical phrases like sentences. It goes for everything in music not just guitar. Especially as composers I think we all tend to want to "do too much" to "show off our skills" when the song really just needs something simple. A lot of the times the simple stuff is what chills your bones. I think....? haha

A guitar solo in the bridge of a rap beat has been heavy in my mind lately. Definitely something I want to do. I just.....idk after a couple years of making beats it's almost like I thoroughly despise rap and don't want to contribute to it. Not the music, just the lyrical content I guess. I'm kind of lost purpose wise with music so I'm just developing my skills. Trying to get nasty on geeeetar I suppose haha. It's probably just an excuse because I have trouble structuring out full songs so I just say oh yeah well I don't like rap. Doesnt matter though I have trouble making a full song of any genre.

Thanks dude. I'm over to your thread now.

Last edited:
haha yeah i feel you. being a dope guitarist is def a nice goal and an achievable one . do you have any beats posted on the Internet? i would love to hear some them youve made in the past

haha yeah i feel you. being a dope guitarist is def a nice goal and an achievable one . do you have any beats posted on the Internet? i would love to hear some them youve made in the past
I used to have a site and a lot more beats up but not so much any more. Here's my sound cloud it's got a few things on it but I haven't made anything I'm REALLY proud of yet. I started this all about 2 years ago now. So I'm still "finding myself"

https://soundcloud.com/agbeats153/tracks

I dont know if this will work but here's my old flashstoreplayer

http://www.myflashstore.net/profile

Theres more on there but I haven't paid so theyre hiding them. And also got their awful tag all over them haha.

Last edited:
haha you should feel more proud of em man they actually sound pretty sick. esp the trap ones. yeah alright, i wish you luck in your endeavours

not bad...
Got them gilmour-esque phrases goin on, nice.
some nice bends happenin too, nailed them target notes!

Two suggestions;

1- work on that vibrato, Its pretty twitchy. You can tell the level of a player on vibrato alone.

2- step out of that pentatonic box. Some sixths would've been tasty in there.

Overall, pretty good. Keep practicing :cheers:

P.s- Theres some guitars in the track in my sig, if youre interested....

Last edited:
Back