Some feedback in my progressive house track?

You have nice synths and effects, but you'd need to put a little more work in giving the beat and percussion a lift (layering, setting the right volume, a good tone, a good dynamic shape, etc), as well as adding a more interesting bassline than a plain subbass.
Also, have a whole production session dedicated to adding all the "small things" to add small varietys in the song that lifts it up and keepsm the listener engaged.

You have nice synths and effects, but you'd need to put a little more work in giving the beat and percussion a lift (layering, setting the right volume, a good tone, a good dynamic shape, etc), as well as adding a more interesting bassline than a plain subbass.
Also, have a whole production session dedicated to adding all the "small things" to add small varietys in the song that lifts it up and keepsm the listener engaged.

Thank you for your advices, specifically what would be that lift in the beat and the percussion, and also what kind of small things?

cheers

i really like it. To me it seems like a song that any professional would make, really. Sure more work on volume and layering but its almost there.

What software do you use and what synth plugins did you use?

Thanks a lot!!, I appreciate that, what kind of sounds would you think might be ok? cheers

Last edited:
Thank you very much, what kind of layering?
I work on logic 9 and i use mostly the common synth plugins, massive, sylenth and zebra, Cheers

First thing that struck me is that you've got a bit of "woosh" going on right at the start that just cuts out around the 6 second mark. If it was me I'd fade it out rather than just ending it dead.

You've got some good melodies going on there but overall it sounds a little sparse to my ear - if you're going for the minimalist approach then great, but I still think it needs a little spice here and there to keep listener interested. Basically I'm saying what steffeeh has already more informatively said.

Funnily for me it sounds closer to prog trance than it does to prog house, but seriously that's just my opinion, and not neccessarily a bad thing.

I think that's a great tip - something I should take note of, and put into practice.

Thank you for your advices, specifically what would be that lift in the beat and the percussion, and also what kind of small things?

cheers

As for the lift, boost some volumes on the drums, layer more samples that complement eachother so you have a very fat and engaging beat. Further on, shape a more interesting tone and dynamic shape on the drums as well. Also, experiment with some FX to sweeten everything up.

As for the "small things", I mean things like skipping that sound on that beat, dropping out sounds for a very short time, adding short FX, do minor automation changes - all to have a constant variation in the track that keeps the listener interested.

What playback volume do you use when you produce? Make sure that it's not too loud.
I think you should head over to the sticky about common mistakes in music production here on this subforum and read the topics.

First thing that struck me is that you've got a bit of "woosh" going on right at the start that just cuts out around the 6 second mark. If it was me I'd fade it out rather than just ending it dead.

You've got some good melodies going on there but overall it sounds a little sparse to my ear - if you're going for the minimalist approach then great, but I still think it needs a little spice here and there to keep listener interested. Basically I'm saying what steffeeh has already more informatively said.

Funnily for me it sounds closer to prog trance than it does to prog house, but seriously that's just my opinion, and not neccessarily a bad thing.

I think that's a great tip - something I should take note of, and put into practice.

When you say its sparse, do you mean for the whole track or just an specific part of it?
thanks

from about 1:49 add maybe a background synth, make sure its right though
and maybe heavy the kick in there a little too! :) Keep it up!

Last edited:
Hello Tomhold,

I think your motif (the g sharp minor notes that keep repeating) is a very powerful theme, that can be harmonically developed to a very significant degree. I think you can add significance to your track by using thick harmonies and rhythmic accents. But the 'pulse' in your track I think is what gives it that edge.

I did a *very* quick (short) development , using your motif from your track, to show what I mean:

https://soundcloud.com/the_music_channel/for-tomhold

Last edited:
Fade out the FX at the start instead of abruptly stopping it. Also it's too bass heavy imo but that's just me. I really like the melodies, and the build up works really well, the drop is slightly disappointing but again that's my opinion. A bit of mixing and some twiddling with some of the FX and this could end up sounding pretty awesome!

Back