NEW SONG!!! As Always feedback for feedback

DJPulsus

Hey guys, so my new song is called No Fear, and its the first one on my soundcloud. I will trade feedback for feedback. Thanks!!!
-Pulsus

soundcloud.com/origpulsus/no-fears

Hey man, first of all, I like the melody but your kick in the drop just doesn't sound right. All the synths are overpowering it, you should try more sidechaining on the synths and another, more powerful kick. Try some more EQ'ing, cutting out the low frequencies on your synths and boosting up your kick in volume. And from 1:50 to 2:40 or something it sounds a little bit the same and empty with only the piano. Still a nice track though, I gave you a follow on SC :).

Could you give this a listen too if you have time for it? https://www.futureproducers.com/for...use-dance/new-electro-house-track-f4f-486337/

The piano sounds too digital. Personally I'd rather go with a real piano recording.
If you however don't want to record any piano, spend some time and edit the velocity and timing, notelengths and so on to make it sound more natural (however, you won't get even close to a real recording).

The track sounds squashed and distorted and the levels are way off.

The track is lacking depth, wamth and lowend severely and the kick sounds hollow.
As for the kick, highpass it and add a subkick to it with a thumpier lowend, since I reckon your current kick won't deliver enough power in the lowend even though you try to boost the bass in it, since it has the wrong characteristics for it.

Something I have to tell many producers here at the showcase section, and once again I have to do it - produce at a low playback volume, or you'll just fool your ears.
I'm too lazy to explain everything once again, so I'll just copy+paste it here what I've said in another thread:

Psychoacoustically your ears have the best tonal perception when you have a moderate level. That level is around where you can have a conversation with someone and be able to hear them clearly without any struggle while listening to the mix.
Here's a graph of how your perception changes as the volume changes, if you're curious:
http://clas.mq.edu.au/speech/perception/psychoacoustics/graphics/figure12.gif

Also, you don't fatigue your ears, and it's easier to hear everything clearly and it's easier to detect issues.

And, last but not least, you kill your own emotional bond to your track, making it easier to have a nonpartial view on it.
A producer is always more engaged to his/her own song than a regular listener would be, and when music is played quieter, it's less engaging, so by cutting your listening level you get closer to the average listener's perception of your track (you can go really far on this and challenge yourself to make your track grabbing at a very, very low level, it's actually a bit fun, my track with the most positive critique so far was in fact the track with the lowest playback volume when producing it).

But there's nothing wrong with testing your track loud every now and then to make sure it still work on that volume, but then you have to plan it so you don't have to wait 15 minutes for your ears to reset.

Last edited:
Response

Hey man, first of all, I like the melody but your kick in the drop just doesn't sound right. All the synths are overpowering it, you should try more sidechaining on the synths and another, more powerful kick. Try some more EQ'ing, cutting out the low frequencies on your synths and boosting up your kick in volume. And from 1:50 to 2:40 or something it sounds a little bit the same and empty with only the piano. Still a nice track though, I gave you a follow on SC :).

Could you give this a listen too if you have time for it? https://www.futureproducers.com/for...use-dance/new-electro-house-track-f4f-486337/

Ya man, thanks for the advice. I definitely knew that the kick needed work, it just wasn't hitting hard enough. I gotta learn how to EQ more and sidechain. This is only my third track! I checked out your track and I really liked it, my advice would be to layer the synths during the drop at different octaves to give it more of a bigger sound. Also during the build you have the frequency cutting off, but personally I feel like that takes away from the energy leading into the drop.
-Pulsus

Thanks for the advice man, this is only my third track, so I'm still learning how to produce. But I will definitely try and do everything you said.
Thanks- Pulsus

Response

I gave it a listen and I think everyone else pretty much hit on everything I was thinking. I liked the melody a lot the drop just sounded really muddy. Even the build up before the drop started to distort. Watch some youtube tutorials on sidechaining and how to eq properly. Little things like that can go a long way

Here's mine if you've got some time! https://www.futureproducers.com/for...promise-jay-nebras-midnight-remix-f4f-486299/
Hey man liked the percussion A lot in your track. Only thing I could really complain about was the synth for the chords when the vocals were playing. I woudl've gone with something a little softer maybe, or not as agressive. Really liked the arrangement though!
-Pulsus

So basically all you guys are saying is the melody and musical element are good, but the production is lacking. Do you guys have any links, tutorials or anything I can listen to that will help my production. It would help a lot, thanks- Pulsus.

Well, youtube has helped me out alot when I was a starting producer! Just look up the skill you want to master on youtube and if you can't find it there are forums that explain it. I'm pretty sure you can ask anything on this forum in another section, go check it out.

Things I took note of:
* Remove the crash in the beginning or; lower the volume, add reverb to it.
* The frequency of the sound with the ping pong dealy, which also has some reverb on it, is painful for the ear.
* The kick sound is a bit generic.
* Add some more structure and tension on the track, maybe with rythm, like add another form of drum that is not just a kick. Maybe more hi-hats, cymbals and so on that varies during the song.
* Maybe add some pad of some sort to add some atmosphere.
* Think the sound could benefit from a 808-kick, not the 909ish that is present in your sound. Maybe mash both up into one sound.

Good things:
* The melodic aspect of the song is good. The piano is nice.
* Good timing with breaks, buildups and climax.

Response

Things I took note of:
* Remove the crash in the beginning or; lower the volume, add reverb to it.
* The frequency of the sound with the ping pong dealy, which also has some reverb on it, is painful for the ear.
* The kick sound is a bit generic.
* Add some more structure and tension on the track, maybe with rythm, like add another form of drum that is not just a kick. Maybe more hi-hats, cymbals and so on that varies during the song.
* Maybe add some pad of some sort to add some atmosphere.
* Think the sound could benefit from a 808-kick, not the 909ish that is present in your sound. Maybe mash both up into one sound.

Good things:
* The melodic aspect of the song is good. The piano is nice.
* Good timing with breaks, buildups and climax.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'm sorry I couldnt give you any feedback as I don't know where any of your songs are. Ill def try to work on all of this in my next song!

Reverb that piano, throw some bass on that kick and I think you have a good song man!
Id also probably edit the velocity of the notes and maybe the lengths as well as release time on the plugin just to get the energy flowing if you get me.

Back