My First Vocal House :) F4F

DrCIH

Hay guys :),
Here's my first vocal house. Found some vocal samples in a web site and here's how I used them in one of my tracks :).

The vocals were short and not especially designed for this song, so the result is not perfect, but it's not bad I think :).

Cheers ;).

Good thing about this track is that the notes are in key. I liked the general direction you were going in with this track. But, there were a lot of strange filtering things going on as it was playing. Also, the vocals didn't really "mesh" too well with the track. Kinda sounded like they were just sitting there playing. The key with vocal mixes is EQ'ing properly and adjusting your levels to make things very balanced.

I think with time and practice, your mixing techniques will definitely keep improving. I listened to some of your other tracks and I can tell you've got some of the melody stuff down. Keep it up!

The track is too simple.
The melody is too simple, make it longer with extra notes to complement it.
The beat is too simple. The kick is a bit passive, it needs to be fatter and brought up in volume, and with more lowend. The clap is thin, stack more layers, and the hihat is too simple. Either you intentionally gate the hihat to make it even more light and let be more in background as a loght compliment to the beat, or you change the sample to a better one, with more layers, and create a more interesting rythm out of it (why not both? start with the light one and then add the fat and full hihat rythm?).
As for the filtering, it's a nice idea, but you need to add more resonance to the sweep so it gives more impact and doesn't rythmically fade away and get weak. You should probably also add more synthlayers, both to contribute to a final plucksound, as well as simply adding further elements.
Add a more interesing bass with more highend to lift the track up, rather than the simple sinewave.
Ditch the current vocals, the singer can't keep the pitch. Either find better singer or replace it all with an instrumental elements (I believe an oldschool synthsound would suit here with the same melody).
Some volumes needs to be adjusted as well.
The transitions are too simple, just a ducking added to the woosh would make it more interesting. Also don't forget to add boomy effects and such.
Also add subtle changes to prepare the listener for something new in the song, remove kicks here and there and add further elements every now and then, etc.

Some personal notes: cut back the BPM and make it slower and deeper. Also increase the sidechained compression and give a slow releasetime, I believe that would suite the track very well. As for the piano, give it more epic reverb, I believe that would work well.

Otherwise the arrangement is fine, and I especially like the basic thought of adding that piano melody.
(I only listened to this track)

Good luck! :)

Hay guys,
10x for the feedback.

Ametrine,
This is the first time I mix vocals and I'm still confused about what to start with :). As for mixing and mastering other instruments, I've gone a long way, with watching youtubers doing it, reading articles, I even began reading a book about it :). But as for the vocals, I'm still feeling strange about it :D. I just add some reverb and chorus and perhaps compression with sidechain to the kick and EQ. I tried to follow this guy's tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g5F0BcFWEk
Oh yeah to be in key is the most basic thing in music :). If you don't know how to do it either learn, or give up composing :).

The point is I WANT TO IMPROVE. I want every single track to be better than the previews and are willing to read and watch a lot to achieve it :).

steffeeh,
To be honest, I do a lot of complicated melodies and as for now try to avoid them. The simpler the melody, the fewer the chords are there with the cord progression, the better it is for the ordinary listener. Not many people listen to jazz, cos it's too complicated for them. I love jazz, but not many people are like me :). So however difficult it is for me I try to be simple in melody and to have more rhythm. A good track needs something that will stick into your head, like glue :). And that something often is rhythm, not melody :). But maybe this is just not me :). And maybe I need to just stick to composing more complicated melodies. Right now I have one I play on the guitar, which is arpeges on Em7, D, C. As for the clap and hit, I'm trying to make deep house and there is a lot of thin percussion there. But kicks and percussion are not my strong point for now. :) The vocals are just downloaded and put in a already written song. They were in E minor and the song was in F, so I made it in E. The kick and everything is tuned to E. Probably the kick is thin. It was intended to be stringer but I reduced it. I don't know why, I cant remember :). In the transitions the white noise does have sidechain ducking, but perhaps it's too little.
I don't know what booming effects are :D.
The BPM is 120 and it's even a little slow, but I'll see :).

Also increase the sidechained compression and give a slow releasetime

To be honest i haven't played with the release time of the sidechain compression, thank you for the advice ;).
I love adding epic piano to a song. Maybe this is becoming part of my style :).

Oh one more thing guys, will you please tell me what genre is this track? I know it's house, but what exactly type?

Thank you for the feedback guys, I'll listen to your advices they were very helpful. If you need feedback to some of your track, just post them here or write me a PM :).

Best regards :).

Last edited:
nice atmospheric vibe you've got to the track, could do with some variation in the drums. ditch the vocal for sure its out of key and doesn't work at all. You could build a good vibe with this track with a better mix down

Back