Give my new track a listen! F4F Jiwan - Realign (Original Mix)

Jiwan

Hi guys I recently finished a track, I would love to hear you guys' opinions! Please be as crucial and punishing as possible! Don't even need to mention F4F haha Follow me on Soundcloud! I'll follow you back!

This track's really special for me since I've never done anything like this before so I'm kinda taking risks here but I hope you guys are able to give me some valuable constructive criticism! Thanks

I think the biggest thing I noticed was the drums. The hi-hats sound really weird, like maybe they were time stretched/warped too far to match the tempo. The kick and snare sound ok but a little like a generic stock sound, like something that would pop up in Fruity Loops as a default, you know? The arrangment was pretty cool and I liked the instrumentation and composition as a whole. The change up at 1:30 did seem a little to abrupt for me, I did really like the double time switch up later in the song though, sounded really cool and added a lot of energy. I think you could ease back a little on the limiter/mastering on the track as a whole, the wave form looks really overcompressed on SoundCloud and you can kind of hear a harsh pumping in the volume occasionally.

Anyways, hope that wasn't too critical, I actually really like the track, just trying to be helpful. Nice work!

@ The Funk Junkie Thanks for your HUGE criticism. I appreciate your input :) I definitely agree with the mastering problem you brought up. I kinda had to compromise since I was producing on the headphones (Heading off to uni in a week, i gotta get used to it haha)
I just listened to your signature track and oh god it just blew my mind. Love the percussion. It's really well processed. The balance between the kick and the bass was amazing! Panning job was beyond well done I thoughly enjoyed the track!

@worldwideuser Thank you! Your kick sounds really nice. I love that soft but punchy kinda feel. Your lead could have been louder though in my opinion :P

Great energy in this track! The kick and snare samples need to be changed. Use some house samples, maybe layer a couple to get a fat sound. Because thats what this track needs! Use some saturation on the synths instead of limiting or compressing, get them really BIG. Near the end it turns a bit drum and bassy, so change the kick to a drum and bass kick and snare. It will sound a lot better. The panning actually sound pretty good. Maybe add some more elements hard left and right, to really hit the full stereo spectrum.

hope this helps

@BillyG Thanks for the feedback dude. I definitely agree with the kick not being as powerful as it could be. I thought i used saturation pretty often in my synths but i guess they weren't properly mixed or something. I actually love hard panning, but this time i wanted to change it up and i used the utility effect and brought up the wideness in ableton. Do you think hard panning works better than the utility?

Also, feel free to link a song or two that you i can leave some feedbacks on! I would love to return the favour!

Last edited:
Good point youre making, utility only widens the sound that is already there. When the synth is not very wide (which it usually is) there is nothing to widen. When you put utility on 200 percent you are left with almost nothing. Thats why maybe the synths sound a bit weak. Utility doesnt create width it just takes out the center. I hope im making sense. Using delay, or layering and then panning are some ways to widen it. Hard panning is usually not done with synths, more with some drum hits or something. As for the kick i dont think it is weak, it is just the wrong sample. One way I fill up my tracks sometimes is to take some tape noise, either a sample or free vst, and use the same notes as the melody. But put the volume very low tough.

I did not know how utility widening exactly worked until you posted this. Thanks very much! I am definitely gonna try the tape noise trick in my next track.

I like the melody and the surprises during the whole song, the idea is very good. But the sound is a bit "muddy" and the snare too basic. I would work on EQ and put something on the drums to make them more unique. Good work, keep it up!

Back